From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Filesystem with lowest CPU load, acceptable emerge performance, and stable?
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2011 12:30:51
1 On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 02:24, James Broadhead <jamesbroadhead@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 6 September 2011 19:55, Permjacov Evgeniy <permeakra@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> On 09/06/2011 09:26 PM, Pandu Poluan wrote:
4 >>> Disk I/O Characteristic: Occasional writes during 'normal' usage,
5 >>> once-a-week eix-sync + emerge -avuD
6 >>> Priority: Stable (i.e., less chance of corruption), least CPU usage.
7 >
8 > You would have to profile this, but I imagine that the best approach
9 > would be to compile in a RAM disk and copy. I think that you're
10 > probably trying to optimise the wrong part of this problem.
13 Hmmm... that gives me an idea...
14
15 If I have some free time, I'll experiment with doing an 'emerge -e
16 @world' on the various filesystems, and recording their total time
17 *and* CPU load.
18
19 Is the `sar` utility good enough to record CPU load?
20
21 Rgds,
22 --
23 FdS Pandu E Poluan