From: Ian Zimmerman <itz@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: How often do you reboot?
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2017 02:51:19
1 On 2017-01-30 22:25, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2
3 > On Mon, 30 Jan 2017 16:16:19 -0600, Dale wrote:
4 >
5 > > Now that I'm basically forced to have a init thingy, that is a
6 > > additional reason not to reboot. In the past, another distro, the init
7 > > thingy would break and I couldn't boot. I despise having to have a init
8 > > thingy. If I ever replace the hard drive that has my OS with a SSD or
9 > > something, the separate /usr is gone. Maybe I can ditch the init thingy
10 > > at that point.
11 >
12 > init thingies have changed a lot since your Mandr{ake,iva} experiences.
13 > The way the kernel handles them is very different and the tools used to
14 > build them have changed greatly. Mandrake used their on init thingy
15 > builder, as did most distros, whereas we now have a standardised tool
16 > that works well in a greater range of situations.
17
18 When I first put gentoo on the laptop (last summer) I tried to follow
19 "The Handbook" verbatim, which meant I got an init thingy.
20
21 That never worked right - before when I had debian on it, and afterward
22 with gentoo. I got an oops about 1 in 10 boots, with the stacktrace
23 looking like it was in the middle of loading a module.
24
25 Finally earlier this month I got sick of it and compiled the essential
26 drivers in, and disabled the thingy building. (/usr wasn't a problem for
27 me, since I had it integrated with the root fs from the start.) Problem
28 solved, not an oops in 3 weeks or so.
29
30 > Atheism is a non-prophet organization.
31
32 :-)
35 Please *no* private Cc: on mailing lists and newsgroups
36 Personal signed mail: please _encrypt_ and sign
37 Don't clear-text sign: http://cr.yp.to/smtp/8bitmime.html