From: Luke Ravitch <luke@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Suggestions for a minimalistic system
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 19:18:35
1 On 2007-01-19 09:45, Vlad Dogaru <ddvlad@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > I am especially looking for a browser to substitute Firefox (it's great, but
3 > quite a memory hog). I like links, what with its graphical capabilities, but
4 > it lacks tabs and that's a major downside in my vision. I've tried Conkeror
5 > for Firefox, but it's too Emacs-centric (vim person here) and also disables
6 > tabs (or maybe it's me -- I couldn't get them to work).
7
8 I'd never heard of Conkeror, so I started playing with it. I really
9 like it (but *I* am an Emacs guy). If you do "M-x use-vi-keys" (where
10 "M-x" is probably Alt-x on your machine) then it feels more vi-like
11 (j,k scroll up/down; h,l go back/forward; colon for commands instead
12 of M-x).
13
14 It doesn't seem to do tabs, but it will open pages in different
15 (Emacs-like) buffers. Use "C-x f" (with emacs keys) to open a URL in
16 a new buffer. Then "C-x b" to switch between buffers. (Not sure what
17 the equivilent vi-style keystrokes are, but they might be there)
18
19 Of course, Conkeror is still Firefox underneath, so that won't help
20 with it being a memory hog.
21
22 Anyway, thanks for showing me something new and cool!
25 Luke
26 --
27 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list