From: Vlad Dogaru <ddvlad@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Suggestions for a minimalistic system
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 17:44:21
1 Hello,
2
3 I am recently growing fed up with strongly graphical applications causing my
4 (admittedly quite old) computer to slow down to a crawl. I like the concept
5 of Ratpoison and am thinking of switching to it, but could use a few tips
6 for making the big change.
7
8 I am especially looking for a browser to substitute Firefox (it's great, but
9 quite a memory hog). I like links, what with its graphical capabilities, but
10 it lacks tabs and that's a major downside in my vision. I've tried Conkeror
11 for Firefox, but it's too Emacs-centric (vim person here) and also disables
12 tabs (or maybe it's me -- I couldn't get them to work).
13
14 Any other tips or nifty programs you could link me to would be greatly
15 appreciated, especially Ratpoison-related; For instance, C-t is too
16 RSI-prone for my taste and conflicts with Firefox's new tab button (I want
17 to switch, but I realise fx could prove irreplaceable, mainly due to the
18 large userbase).
19
20 Thanks in advance,
21 Vlad
24 How's my English? How about my Netiquette?
25 Do mail me if something is wrong with my behaviour. Thank you.