From: "b.n." <brullonulla@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Suggestions for a minimalistic system
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 18:39:04
1 Vlad Dogaru ha scritto:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > I am recently growing fed up with strongly graphical applications
5 > causing my (admittedly quite old) computer to slow down to a crawl. I
6 > like the concept of Ratpoison and am thinking of switching to it, but
7 > could use a few tips for making the big change.
8
9 Buy a couple spare RAM modules. Surely I agree with your will to build a
10 minimalistic system, this will help anyway and it's a nice experience,
11 but RAM is quite cheap and is the magic elisir that allows outdated
12 machines to be still usable -the CPU is rarely a problem, unless you
13 often do something quite computationally intensive.
14
15 > I am especially looking for a browser to substitute Firefox (it's great,
16 > but quite a memory hog). I like links, what with its graphical
17 > capabilities, but it lacks tabs and that's a major downside in my
18 > vision. I've tried Conkeror for Firefox, but it's too Emacs-centric (vim
19 > person here) and also disables tabs (or maybe it's me -- I couldn't get
20 > them to work).
21
22 Did you try Dillo? I don't know if it has tabs but it seems *very*
23 lightweight.
24 Otherwise maybe Opera? people insist in saying it's really fast and
25 light (and has tabs:as a matter of fact, Opera invented them!), but I
26 personally don't know.
27
28 > Any other tips or nifty programs you could link me to would be greatly
29 > appreciated, especially Ratpoison-related; For instance, C-t is too
30 > RSI-prone for my taste and conflicts with Firefox's new tab button (I
31 > want to switch, but I realise fx could prove irreplaceable, mainly due
32 > to the large userbase).
33
34 Try to see what purposely lightweight distros like DamnSmallLinux,
35 VectorLinux and Puppy Linux install by default, I think you'll have a
36 good choice of lightweight packages. However as far as concerning
37 ratpoison, I know nothing...
38
39 > How's my English? How about my Netiquette?
40 > Do mail me if something is wrong with my behaviour. Thank you.
41
42 This is going to be the best sign of 2007 :) - I really appreciate this
43 kind of approach.
44
45 m.
46 --