From: SpaceCake <spacecakex@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 32to64 bit migration guide
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2010 19:09:15
1 Thank you.
2
3 The reason to change to 64bit is maybe I'll have 8 GB instead of 4GB of
4 memory. PAE is already enabled in kernel, so I have no problem accessing
5 memory above 3Gbyte. Is there any performance increase can be expected if I
6 spend my time on this migration/reinstall?
7
8 Thanks
9 Laszlo
12 2010/9/7 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
13
14 > Apparently, though unproven, at 17:44 on Tuesday 07 September 2010,
15 > SpaceCake
16 > did opine thusly:
17 >
18 > > Hi,
19 > >
20 > > Is there a user friendly guide or howto to help me to migrate my 32 bit
21 > > gentoo to 64 bit without loosing my settings?
22 > >
23 > > Thank you
24 > > Laszlo
27 > Forget it, don't even try. You might succeed, but it will not be worth the
28 > effort. You will complete the following steps in about half the time:
29 >
30 > 1. Back up /etc and anything else you want to keep
31 > 2. Reinstall
32 > 3. Set CHOST to something suitable
33 > 4. emerge -e world
34 > 5. Restore stuff from step #1
35 >
36 > It's an interesting exercise to try and do the migration, people who like
37 > puzzles enjoy it. If your goal is to have a 64 bit system using the route
38 > of
39 > least pain, best to follow the path with lots of consensus around here -
40 > the
41 > one above.
44 > --
45 > alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com