From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 32to64 bit migration guide
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2010 16:08:48
1 Apparently, though unproven, at 17:44 on Tuesday 07 September 2010, SpaceCake
2 did opine thusly:
3
4 > Hi,
5 >
6 > Is there a user friendly guide or howto to help me to migrate my 32 bit
7 > gentoo to 64 bit without loosing my settings?
8 >
9 > Thank you
10 > Laszlo
13 Forget it, don't even try. You might succeed, but it will not be worth the
14 effort. You will complete the following steps in about half the time:
15
16 1. Back up /etc and anything else you want to keep
17 2. Reinstall
18 3. Set CHOST to something suitable
19 4. emerge -e world
20 5. Restore stuff from step #1
21
22 It's an interesting exercise to try and do the migration, people who like
23 puzzles enjoy it. If your goal is to have a 64 bit system using the route of
24 least pain, best to follow the path with lots of consensus around here - the
25 one above.
29 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com