From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 32to64 bit migration guide
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2010 23:12:45
1 Apparently, though unproven, at 21:08 on Tuesday 07 September 2010, SpaceCake
2 did opine thusly:
3
4 > Thank you.
5 >
6 > The reason to change to 64bit is maybe I'll have 8 GB instead of 4GB of
7 > memory. PAE is already enabled in kernel, so I have no problem accessing
8 > memory above 3Gbyte. Is there any performance increase can be expected if I
9 > spend my time on this migration/reinstall?
10
11 Are you doing massively parallel floating point computations that would
12 benefit from a full 64 bit data structure?
13
14 If yes, then you will see a performance increase. The amount is, well, YMMV.
15 If no, then you won't.
16
17 What you will get is not being limited by that 3G per process limit and the
18 overhead of PAE.
19
20 I have 100+ servers at work. There are only a few that require 64 bit - 4 huge
21 database servers and oddly enough the RT ticket queue box. It's the queue for
22 abuse@<where_i_work> so it gets hammered pretty heavily. But we install 64 bit
23 OSes everywhere for consistency sake.
24
25 It is a fallacy (fairly common unfortunately) that 64 bit gives a performance
26 increase per se. It does not. RAM speed, disk speed, network speed, bus speed
27 are all largely unaffected by 32/64 bit. It does let your CPU run in it's
28 native mode - if there even is such a thing on x86 - and as progress marches
29 on regardless so 64 bit is where the focus is these days.
30
31 You will find the occasional issue with brain-dead proprietary software
32 products (note carefully how I'm NOT looking at Adobe...) but that is fixable
33 with nsspuginwrapper.
34
35 Reinstall by all mans if it makes you happy. Downtime will be a few hours.
36 Don't migrate unless you are a toolchain geek and want street cred from being
37 able to do it. It's not worth the pain.
43 > Thanks
44 > Laszlo
47 > 2010/9/7 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
48 >
49 > > Apparently, though unproven, at 17:44 on Tuesday 07 September 2010,
50 > > SpaceCake
51 > >
52 > > did opine thusly:
53 > > > Hi,
54 > > >
55 > > > Is there a user friendly guide or howto to help me to migrate my 32 bit
56 > > > gentoo to 64 bit without loosing my settings?
57 > > >
58 > > > Thank you
59 > > > Laszlo
60 > >
61 > > Forget it, don't even try. You might succeed, but it will not be worth
62 > > the effort. You will complete the following steps in about half the
63 > > time:
64 > >
65 > > 1. Back up /etc and anything else you want to keep
66 > > 2. Reinstall
67 > > 3. Set CHOST to something suitable
68 > > 4. emerge -e world
69 > > 5. Restore stuff from step #1
70 > >
71 > > It's an interesting exercise to try and do the migration, people who like
72 > > puzzles enjoy it. If your goal is to have a 64 bit system using the route
73 > > of
74 > > least pain, best to follow the path with lots of consensus around here -
75 > > the
76 > > one above.
79 > > --
80 > > alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
83 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com