From: Jorge Almeida <jjalmeida@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] xterm menu
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2016 15:26:34
1 On Sun, Dec 18, 2016 at 6:52 AM, Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Sun, 18 Dec 2016 02:48:28 -0800 Jorge Almeida wrote:
3 >> I tried Ctrl+click (any button) on an xterm window, to bring up the
4 >> menu (which I never used before; after reading a recent thread about X
5 >> (in)security, I was trying to access the secure mode for password
6 >> entering).
7 >>
8 >> This crashes xterm. The logs:
9 >
10 > On xterm-325 "secure keyboard" mode works perfectly fine for me.
11 >
12 > Try to change font used by xterm, there are many ways to do this, I
13 > prefer to put in ~/.Xresources:
14 >
15 > xterm*faceName: DejaVu Sans Mono:style=Bold
16 > xterm*faceSize: 15
17 >
18 > Anyway, application should not crash, so if your system is
19 > up-to-date (not only xterm, but Xorg, freetype and friends as well,
20 > so better update all system) and bug is still here, please report
21 > it on bugzilla.
22 >
23 My system (stable) is up-to-date, and I actually have XTerm*faceName:
24 xft:DejaVu Sans Mono:style=book:antialias=true in
25 .Xresources.
26
27 The logs complain about helvetica, and I found similar stuff in the
28 net (not necessarilly about xterm). This appears to be a font problem,
29 which is essentially voodoo to me. xterm crashing instead of just
30 failing to bring up the menu seems to be an xterm bug indeed, but the
31 real problem is what to do to solve the missing fonts problem.
32
33 I have xterm emerged with "openpty truetype unicode" USE flags. I
34 can't imagine why the menu would require an "usable ISO8859 font"...
35
36 Regards
37
38 Jorge