From: daid kahl <daidxor@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: sci-physics/root slotting?
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 08:19:29
1 > Hello,
2 >
3 > For anyone who uses the data analysis framework ROOT developed mainly
4 > at CERN (sorry, I didn't name it 'root'), I can imagine that slotting
5 > would be an extremely useful feature.
6
7 > It occurred to me tonight that adding slotting should be easy and very
8 > useful.
9
10 Not true! The slotting isn't supported upstream, and it requires a
11 lot of modification to all the ebuilds. As I have no experience, it's
12 also not clear to me if I slot everything including things in etc and
13 man pages. I can see arguments both ways.
14
15 > If this seems like a good feature request, I'll put a modified ebuild
16 > on bugzilla for all present root versions after I can test it (may
17 > take a few days, since root isn't a quick compile and I have physics
18 > to do).
19
20 I will consider this a serious project, but progress will not be
21 quick, since I have a lot to learn. Honestly it might make more sense
22 to hit the upstream mailing lists first and see what they think about
23 slotting, since the implementation is probably a lot easier from the
24 source than doing crazy crap in the ebuilds like moving things in,
25 say, usr/include/root to usr/include/root-${SLOT} and every other
26 directory, not to mention recursively hitting the same thing on bin/
27 and setting up symlinks and a module to handle switching all them.
28 For example, suppose a new version gives me a new binary. Now the
29 eselect module needs to know it can't switch that symlink on the old
30 version; I'm sure this has been done for other packages, but like I
31 said, I need to learn about it first.
32
33 > Obviously, if this happens, I need to consider a bugzilla feature
34 > request on eselect as well, or make eselect-root.
35
36 This will need some learning as well on my part, as above.
37
38 ~daid