From: Daniel da Veiga <danieldaveiga@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Network manager for laptop
Date: Fri, 02 May 2008 19:55:14
1 On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 4:22 PM, b.n. <brullonulla@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Daniel da Veiga ha scritto:
3 > >
4 > http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-wireless-networking-41/ath0wireless-couldnt-connect-to-the-supplicant.-511815/
5 > >
6 > > But again, its one of the MANY threads, posts and questions about
7 > > NetworkManager and WPA around the web. The fact is, I found many
8 > > people with this problem, tried all their "solutions" but still no
9 > > game. I get the infamous "couldn't connect to the supplicant" syslog
10 > > error. Believe me, I spent a LOT of time trying to figure this out...
11 > >
12 > > WICD had the "None" problem (must have something to do with the
13 > > "00:00:00:00:00" failed authentication in wpa_supplicant (wich is
14 > > something I must research too), that makes it annoying, but not
15 > > impossible to use it.
16 > >
17 > > Any more suggestions?
20 > I have a Macbook Pro laptop with Gentoo, with WPA working fine with
21 > NetworkManager (Madwifi drivers).
22 >
23 > I now do not have time to check the full configs. However I remember that
24 > mixing wpa_supplicant configuration and NetworkManager was BAD. I kept a
25 > very confused diary of my Macbook Gentoo install, the relevant part is:
26 >
27 > "ok, found problem. using the conf.d/net and wpa_supplicant.conf WITH
28 > NetworkManager is just problems.
29 > so I am trying to use only NetworkManager."
30 >
31 > ...and it's what I'm currently doing. I guess NetworkManager takes care of
32 > wpa_supplicant.
33 >
34 > Then, madwifi drivers for that card are a bit flaky, but that's another
35 > story...
36 >
37 > Tell me what info you need, I may try to help you.
40 I'll try removing the config for the whole thing and see how it works,
41 but NetworkManager has problems launching wpa_supplicant (or
42 controlling it at least) using DBUS, and that has not been solved yet,
43 so I won't bet on it. I'm not with my EEE right now, so, as soon as I
44 get home...
45
46 All I need is to know if you can actually use WPA, store the keys,
47 reboot, and try again, with the same SSID, it fails for me all the
48 time. (and var log messages says "couldn't connect to the
49 supplicant").
52 Daniel da Veiga
53 --
54 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list