From: Galevsky <galevsky@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is GWN dead?
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 10:09:45
1 On Jan 11, 2008 10:38 AM, Dirk Heinrichs <dirk.heinrichs.ext@×××.com> wrote:
2 > Am Freitag, 11. Januar 2008 schrieb ext Shaochun Wang:
3 >
4 > > Currently, Gentoo has not updated
5 > > its installation CD for a long time!
6 >
7 > They don't need to. One week ago I used a GRML cd to install a new Gentoo
8 > system.
9
10 &
11
12 On Jan 11, 2008 10:22 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
13 > Why do you think gentoo *needs* to update it's install CD?
14
15 Because Gentoo is a distro, and as a distro, it should have a way to
16 be installed on a computer... I upgraded my hardware recently and my
17 previous gentoo distro was not able to boot (ICH9 + JMicron
18 controller) because no SATA HD was recognized with my old 2.6.18
19 kernel.... the only way to boot was livecd with right kernel/modules.
20 But Gentoo was not able to provide a *so basic feature*, the one that
21 let me boot on my computer.... and you see no needs with that ? Well,
22 if Gentoo is not able to make my computer booting, it is sure that I
23 have no need to get maintained portage nor any one of the ebuilds...
24
25 To fix my problem, I had a look at other distro LiveCD, but had a too
26 old kernel inside, then fell back to a custom-made Gentoo LiveCD found
27 on the gentoo forums.
28
29 Maybe *YOU* don't have the need to spend hours looking for an
30 installCD/LiveCD, but it is a true one for lots of people that faced
31 this problem. What Gentoo have to tell to these people ? Let's get to
32 hell since Gentoo installCD is outdated ?
33
34 You can say that devs have no time to make it, but please, don't tell
35 that Gentoo doesn't need any installCD (outdated means no CD at all
36 for many computers nowaday).
37
38 Gal'
39 --