From: "Norman Rieß" <norman@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is GWN dead?
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 10:22:17
1 Galevsky schrieb:
2 > On Jan 11, 2008 10:38 AM, Dirk Heinrichs <dirk.heinrichs.ext@×××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 >> Am Freitag, 11. Januar 2008 schrieb ext Shaochun Wang:
7 >>> Currently, Gentoo has not updated
8 >>> its installation CD for a long time!
9 >>>
10 >> They don't need to. One week ago I used a GRML cd to install a new Gentoo
11 >> system.
14 > &
15 >
16 > On Jan 11, 2008 10:22 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
17 >
18 >> Why do you think gentoo *needs* to update it's install CD?
21 > Because Gentoo is a distro, and as a distro, it should have a way to
22 > be installed on a computer... I upgraded my hardware recently and my
23 > previous gentoo distro was not able to boot (ICH9 + JMicron
24 > controller) because no SATA HD was recognized with my old 2.6.18
25 > kernel.... the only way to boot was livecd with right kernel/modules.
26 > But Gentoo was not able to provide a *so basic feature*, the one that
27 > let me boot on my computer.... and you see no needs with that ? Well,
28 > if Gentoo is not able to make my computer booting, it is sure that I
29 > have no need to get maintained portage nor any one of the ebuilds...
30 >
31 > [..]
32 >
33 > Gal'
34 >
35 Right, basicly telling people "You have to depend on / use other distros
36 to install our OS, cause we are not able to / don´t have time to provide
37 this" sounds a little fishy. It makes Gentoo look incomplete.
38
39 MHO
40
41 Norman