From: Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] xterm menu
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2016 20:14:18
1 On 12/18/2016 09:28 AM, Jorge Almeida wrote:
2 > On Sun, Dec 18, 2016 at 8:34 AM, Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> On 12/18/2016 07:25 AM, Jorge Almeida wrote:
4 >>>
5 >>> The logs complain about helvetica, and I found similar stuff in the
6 >>> net (not necessarilly about xterm). This appears to be a font problem,
7 >>> which is essentially voodoo to me. xterm crashing instead of just
8 >>> failing to bring up the menu seems to be an xterm bug indeed, but the
9 >>> real problem is what to do to solve the missing fonts problem.
10 >>>
11 >>
12 >> Try installing liberation-fonts and enabling them with `eselect
13 >> fontconfig`. I had all sorts of display problems with Helvetica in
14 >> Firefox until I added that package.
15 >>
16 > Done. Still no joy.
17 >
18 > Thanks
19 >
20 > Jorge
23 Actually, I just had a thought. I stumbled onto a very weird fonts bug
24 some years ago where Firefox would crash on loading certain pages. It
25 was something very stupid, all fonts need to have world-readable
26 permissions. If a font didn't FF would crash (it didn't handle fonts not
27 being available gracefully AT ALL.)
28
29 I chmod 644 the whole fonts directory and ran `fc-cache -fv` and it
30 fixed the crashing Firefox.
31
32 I wonder if xterm is running into not being able to open a font?
33
34 Dan