From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Shared libraries in Gentoo
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2010 12:25:51
1 Apparently, though unproven, at 13:50 on Thursday 09 September 2010, Al did
2 opine thusly:
3
4 > > My beef with portage in my specific production setup is the amount of
5 > > work it takes my guys to keep everything up to date. We don't have 150
6 > > identical servers in a farm (I'd love that and would switch to Gentoo
7 > > immediately if it were). I have 130 completely different configs and
8 > > uses for those servers.
9 >
10 > How about migrating them one-by-one to CentOs first and in a second
11 > step to Gentoo?
12
13 yum install is do once, forget, predict what's gonna happen with high
14 certainty.
15
16 gentoo is run emerge, study output, understand all of it, consider what
17 flameeyes has to say about it, wonder if some screw ball fucked up glibc yet
18 again, discuss in upgrade meetings, then proceed with lots of other crap ad
19 nauseam.
20
21 Ain't gonna happen in this environment.
22
23 > Sure every servers migration is work. But there will be routine once
24 > you have migrated 10.
25
26 There is nothing routine about gentoo upgrades. Long hard experience has
27 taught me this.
28
29 > Having a uniform serverfarm should pay the efforts after a reasonable time.
30
31 I don't have a uniform server farm and never will. It's not that kind of
32 environment.
33
34 It's 130 different configs on 150 machines serving 30 different systems, many
35 of them legacy systems. Management once asked what it will take to unlegacy
36 all of that. They didn't like my answer:
37
38 Triple the salary budget
39 Two years.
44 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com