From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Linux & Motherboard
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 00:10:31
1 On Wednesday 26 March 2008, ionut cucu wrote:
2 > > > The SLI capability is not important as having ethernet or sound
3 > > > supported on linux.
4 >
5 > Should you follow the path of the manual you'll find interesting
6 > links about sound cards support on linux, as for ethernet, if you
7 > dan;t have drivers from linux you can use the windows ones(this is
8 > true for ethernet to right?)
9
10 I can't remember a single ethernet device in the last several years that
11 wasn't fully supported and JustWorked(tm) straight out the box on any
12 old arb Linux system. Sometimes I had hassles with FibreChannel and
13 related technologies while it was relatively new, but a quick
14 comparison with the same hardware running RedHat sorted that out in a
15 jiffy. Usually I have stuff that genuinely just worked while the
16 windows colleagues battled like mad for weeks to find suitable
17 drivers ;-)
18
19 The thing you are referring to is ndiswrapper, which is useful for
20 wireless devices. I dunno if it copes with ethernet too, but seeing as
21 I know of no case in the world where it was necessary it's a bit of a
22 moot point
25 Alan McKinnon
26 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
29 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list