From: ionut cucu <cuciferus@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Linux & Motherboard
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 23:46:00
1 On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 11:17:17 +0200
2 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
3 <SNIP>
4 > Stay away from NVidia. Good performing cards, but their Linux support
5 > is atrocious (and that's being kind to them)
6 >
7 > ATI are not much better but at least they make something of an effort
8 > to publish some specs.
9 >
10 > Intell cards are the best supported and the worst performing I'm
11 > afraid
12 I'm afraid I must step in here a little:
13 never had I had any trouble with 3d accel with my small 6200TC, "on
14 contraire": updateing the drivers just got the small rat faster and
15 faster. There were some trouble with mm kernel, but one shouldn't get
16 any hopes with 3d and mm. And I'm talking about a cheap video-card here
17 that can play 3d games in hosted os.
18 ATI on the other hand with all it's specs released, has not convinced
19 me. I had a lot more trouble with it as an experienced gentooer than I
20 had with nvidia as a newbe. ATI-s floss drivers don't support all
21 chips, the official ones have trouble supporting new APIs, cedega
22 issues and so on and so forth. Even so I think you can get the job done
23 but with much more time/effort consumed than one would expect.
24
25 > > but i
26 > > am very confused about the motherboard. The cheapest shop vendor
27 > > only have asus motherboard so i don't have much choice.
28 > > - Asus P5E X38 DDR2 for 189 €
29 > > - Asus P5K/pro iP35 for 114 €
30 > > - Asus P5N32-E/SLI 680i for 199€
31 > > - Asus P5N-T dlx 780i 232€
32 I to am a proud owner of and Asus MB, changed it twice wile in
33 warranty, because the ethernet burned out and some chip-fan decided to
34 take a vacation, but as for compatibility/performance i have only good
35 words for it
36 > Look further afield. Don't limit yourself to just one shop based on
37 > price. The price difference between motherboards isn't that great
38 > when compared to the cost of an entire box, and the wrong decision
39 > can be very painful in the future
40 Aint all that bad. My brother's MSI botherbord with highly unstable
41 cooling system and a burned USB hub(that was a cool party) still gets
42 him 8 days uptime
43 > > Someone have one of those cards or know a good site with information
44 > > about linux compatibility for those cards?
45 Your google-fu will help you here. The force is strong within you
46 > > The SLI capability is not important as having ethernet or sound
47 > > supported on linux.
48 Should you follow the path of the manual you'll find interesting links
49 about sound cards support on linux, as for ethernet, if you dan;t have
50 drivers from linux you can use the windows ones(this is true for
51 ethernet to right?)
52 --
53 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list