From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: A New Linux Way
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 16:24:32
1 Petr Kocmid <Petr.Kocmid <at> project-bhairava.org> writes:
4 > On Tuesday 10 January 2006 04:40, Mark Stewart wrote:
5 > > Hello fellow Linux Users!
6 > > We here at SaviourLinux.com desire to create a united universal way.
7 > > Please visit the website for more information, but here is the purpose:
8
9 > You missed the target audience. Here at gentoo there are mostly hardcore linux
10 > geeks, and we already have "universal way". You do not make a fortune here
11 > with a scam like this.
12
13 (Splash--WAKE UP CALL)
14
15 This thread has generated much noise, because it invokes the very antithesis
16 of many things we hold dear: Irrelevance of Microsoft one day, ubiquitous
17 secure and distributed computing, fantastic multimedia influenced and
18 controlled by the little people of world etc etc....
19
20 It has generated so much concern (deeply disturbing responses) because we all
21 need to earn a living and it'd be nice if we could do it, being perveyours
22 of linux (Gentoo specifically) yet we lack initiative.
23
24 I have often talk about preparing Gentoo for the masses, with little collective
25 interest. I have even offered to spent my limited financial resources to get
26 talented people to develop specific software and make it open source so that
27 it can be used freely, available in source code and also open to
28 entrepreneurial endeavors, much like the BSDish licenses. I personally think
29 all of the hype over licenses are a waste of bandwidth. Who gives a shit,
30 statistically. If something is great everybody is going to use it, and
31 it's associated technical perveyours should make money signing autographs.
32
33 'Savior' is something Linux needs. The simple solution is for perveyours of
34 (Gentoo) linux to stop being 'bone-heads' and start being Entrepreneurs.
35 You make money, become affluent, you can write all the code and give it
36 to whatever cause you want. What the youth of this list do not realize is
37 their "Free time" combined with strong "programming skills" is capital.
38 use it wisely, and more capital will flow your way.
39
40 Specifically, I work as an engineer, with machines, industrial processes,
41 communications, and too dam many lawyers and politicians. Machines on this
42 earth are mostly controlled by SCADA systems: Supervisor Controls And Data
43 Aquistion (sounds sexy huh?) Currenlty MicroSuck dominates the space, but,
44 it's lack of robust security, has created a huge vacuum, highlighted by
45 activities of 9/11. Futhermore in the near future, there will be at least
46 100 machines (micro P with connnectivity) per humanoid and the gap will
47 only increase. AKA, the net of the future belongs to machines. Just look
48 at the number of peripherals (machines) we have today and the pending
49 explosion of every electro-mechanical device in your home, auto, work
50 and leisure activities, having 'connectivity' in the not too distant
51 future. Yet Linux lacks a robust open source SCADA plan. Many attemps
52 have been made, but, most have been diverted to the traditional business
53 model (come work for me and I'll give you a paycheck). Now is the time
54 to develop software so that all electrical devices can be seemlessly
55 managed and controlled. Whe have power over ethernet (802.af) and
56 ethernet over powerlines, not to mention Rf chipsets that are shockingly
57 low in price. The current vendor track is build a new device,
58 write new software, and add it to the thousands of applications that
59 exist. The future paradyne could be: Develop a robust Linux SCADA software
60 package, make money migrating industry and consumers to it, and write
61 device drivers for any product someone builds. That way the cost of
62 software development is born of the open source community, and local
63 entrepreneurs can spin hardware with local manufacturers to build
64 successful 'regional products'. Gentoos get new toys, many of which
65 are built by people they know....
66
67 I have offered money to any young, talented person wanting to make
68 a name for themselves by championing the cause to develop an open source
69 SCADA system for (Gentoo) linux. No takers. none. Why? This could become
70 an excellent opportunity to teach software development, and migrate
71 the industrial world to Gentoo.
72
73 Leads me to beleive that everyone has too much cash or are scared to 'step up'.
74 My programming skills have atrofied (like my spelling skills) over time.
75 Furthermore, I'd be most interested in installing this SCADA system somewhere
76 and generating attention as to what promise Gentoo holds for the future.
77 The more of an Entrepreneur I become the less time I have to stay current or
78 maintain my existing skill sets. Youth provides opportunity for greatness. I'm
79 willing to finance greatness. There is no greater need than to develop a
80 (Gentoo) based SCADA system. EVERYONE, except the commmercial SCADA vendors is
81 very, very tired of MicroSuck in the Industrial space....
82
83 Then along comes this "Savior Thread" where folks are almost interested
84 in giving away their personal capital in the pursuit of foolishness.
85
86 My answer to Savior Linux is "put the check into the mail, and I'll be
87 right there". But, I'm willing to send a check to someone that this list
88 agrees with, has the BALLS and BRAINS to build a SCADA software package
89 for Gentoo. I just want a licence that encourages entrepreneurial
90 implementation of the software, more akin to BSDishness..... That way
91 folks can build hardware, sell it in small volume, make a living,
92 and the greater gentoo community becomes greater, because we have
93 the newest/coolest hardware toys, and the software is part of a single,
94 very cool package that is easy to maintain. Under this scheme, developing
95 device drivers would become routine for Gentoo Folks. Hardware guys
96 could focus on hardware and gets their drivers for free!
97
98 If you are unfamilar with SCADA:
99 http://www.comedi.org/doc
100 http://www.modcomp.com/scada/scada_app.html
101 http://www.rtaautomation.com/modbustcp
102 http://www.jffnms.org
103
104 The rub is ( i use to love the rub: in engineering school that's where
105 some old, nasty bastard challenged the students to actually do something
106 with what we were learning)
107 video controls and display of video needs to be added to the SCADA software.
108 I think an open API for rapid addition of machines and hardware beyond
109 that of PLC (programmable logic controllers) is important too.
110 Think of it as SCADA on steroids.
111
112 I'm not rich [(3) kids; beautiful, nagging wife and a boat in disrepair];
113 yet this is something that I'm will to spend my money on, for the
114 benfit of the wider Gentoo community.
115
116 Any takers?
119 sincerely,
120 James Horton, PE