From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Upgrading gcc: both 4.4 and 4.5 needed?
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2011 00:58:02
1 On 11/15/2011 08:58 PM, Jarry wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 > today I upgraded gcc from 4.4.5 to the last stable version
4 > 4.5.3-r1.
5 >[...]
6 > But at the and I noticed gcc 4.4 has not been unmerged
7 > and my "world" file is somehow larger. To my surprise,
8 > it contains these lines:
9 >
10 > sys-devel/gcc
11 > sys-devel/gcc:4.4
12 >
13 > I did full backup before, so I compared world-file before
14 > and after gcc-upgrade just to find out, these two lines
15 > have been really inserted now, during gcc-upgrade. And my
16 > question is: what does it mean? Does my system need now
17 > both gcc 4.4 and 4.5? Why is actually gcc in world-file,
18 > when it is part of system?
19
20 The old GCC version does not get removed. This is a good thing just in
21 case the new one doesn't work for some reason.
22
23 If it works OK, you can manually unmerge the old version:
24
25 emerge -aC gcc:4.4
26
27 Before doing that, however, make sure the new one has been activated
28 with gcc-config and verify that it works by building some random package.