From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Questions about SATA and hot plugging.
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 17:50:13
1 meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
2 > Hi Dale,
3 >
4 > as I know, the hd hardware can't nearly as fast as the bus speed
5 > regardless whether it is 6GB/s or 3GB/s.
6 > Quickly doing the same as you on my harddisk gave:
7 >
8 > /dev/sda:
9 > Timing cached reads: 6726 MB in 2.00 seconds = 3364.06 MB/sec
10 > Timing buffered disk reads: 318 MB in 3.00 seconds = 105.93 MB/sec
11 >
12 > The speeds of 6 GB/s or 3GB/s are only reached, when reading data
13 > directly from the hd cache.
14 >
15 > I dont know, what motherboard you use. But the settings you describe
16 > seem to be identical to mine.
17 >
18 > Important is:
19 > In the BIOS go to the hd section and look, what the BIOS think the
20 > speed of your hd is (3 GB/s or 6GB/s). When found directly set you
21 > SATA chip to that speed. It is recommended to do so by the help of
22 > text of my BIOS. I have a 3GB/s disk. And yes, IDE is ok.
23 >
24 > Here you can find explanations about AHCI vs. IDE sata mode.
25 > http://www.techarp.com/showfreebog.aspx?lang=0&bogno=316
26 >
27 > On my board (ASUS Crosshair IV Formula) it was said, that AHCI is
28 > slower than IDE, but (!) is not due to IDE vs. AHCI but to a
29 > limitation of the chip.
30 >
31 > Look at the benchmarks above: There no place to go faster than that.
32 > 3/6 GB/s on cach read are standard compliant and ~100 MB/s is the
33 > limitation of hardware normal people like you and me can pay for.
34 >
35 > Plug on the front:
36 > This seems to be E-Sata jack AND SHOULD BE CONNECTED INTERNALLY ONLY
37 > TO AN E-SATA (not SATA) JACK ON THE MOBO.
38 >
39 > In unmounted status: Yes it should be hotpluggable as USB. BUT dont
40 > connect the E-SATA jack of the case to a normal SATA jack on the
41 > board!
42 >
43 > E-SATA != SATA !!!!
44 >
45 > HTH
46 > mcc
50 Sounds like I am normal on speed. Still wonder why they call it
51 "advanced" tho. Hype maybe? ;-)
52
53 I noticed when I did some searching that the eSATA connectors have sort
54 of a L shape to them. All the SATA connectors have a L shape to them on
55 my mobo.
56
57 I think for safety's sake, I think I will shutdown first. The biggest
58 reason I was wondering is because it is on the front next to the USB
59 plugs too. Just made me wonder.
60
61 Dale
62