From: meino.cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Questions about SATA and hot plugging.
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 18:30:20
1 Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> [10-12-14 18:56]:
2 > meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
3 > >Hi Dale,
4 > >
5 > >as I know, the hd hardware can't nearly as fast as the bus speed
6 > >regardless whether it is 6GB/s or 3GB/s.
7 > >Quickly doing the same as you on my harddisk gave:
8 > >
9 > >/dev/sda:
10 > > Timing cached reads: 6726 MB in 2.00 seconds = 3364.06 MB/sec
11 > > Timing buffered disk reads: 318 MB in 3.00 seconds = 105.93 MB/sec
12 > >
13 > >The speeds of 6 GB/s or 3GB/s are only reached, when reading data
14 > >directly from the hd cache.
15 > >
16 > >I dont know, what motherboard you use. But the settings you describe
17 > >seem to be identical to mine.
18 > >
19 > >Important is:
20 > >In the BIOS go to the hd section and look, what the BIOS think the
21 > >speed of your hd is (3 GB/s or 6GB/s). When found directly set you
22 > >SATA chip to that speed. It is recommended to do so by the help of
23 > >text of my BIOS. I have a 3GB/s disk. And yes, IDE is ok.
24 > >
25 > >Here you can find explanations about AHCI vs. IDE sata mode.
26 > >http://www.techarp.com/showfreebog.aspx?lang=0&bogno=316
27 > >
28 > >On my board (ASUS Crosshair IV Formula) it was said, that AHCI is
29 > >slower than IDE, but (!) is not due to IDE vs. AHCI but to a
30 > >limitation of the chip.
31 > >
32 > >Look at the benchmarks above: There no place to go faster than that.
33 > >3/6 GB/s on cach read are standard compliant and ~100 MB/s is the
34 > >limitation of hardware normal people like you and me can pay for.
35 > >
36 > >Plug on the front:
37 > >This seems to be E-Sata jack AND SHOULD BE CONNECTED INTERNALLY ONLY
38 > >TO AN E-SATA (not SATA) JACK ON THE MOBO.
39 > >
40 > >In unmounted status: Yes it should be hotpluggable as USB. BUT dont
41 > >connect the E-SATA jack of the case to a normal SATA jack on the
42 > >board!
43 > >
44 > >E-SATA != SATA !!!!
45 > >
46 > >HTH
47 > >mcc
51 > Sounds like I am normal on speed. Still wonder why they call it
52 > "advanced" tho. Hype maybe? ;-)
53 >
54 > I noticed when I did some searching that the eSATA connectors have sort
55 > of a L shape to them. All the SATA connectors have a L shape to them
56 > on my mobo.
57 >
58 > I think for safety's sake, I think I will shutdown first. The biggest
59 > reason I was wondering is because it is on the front next to the USB
60 > plugs too. Just made me wonder.
61 >
62 > Dale
63 >
64 > :-) :-)
67 You know AGP (_Advanced_ graphics port), Dale?
68 You know, why _this_ is "advanced"?
69
70 Look at USB 2.0?
71
72 Names like "Full speed" and "High speed" are only sands in the eyes of
73 the others.
74
75 Names only names...
76
77 Why they increase SATA to currently 6GB/s to read from...guess... the
78 RAM of a hd?
79
80 Ok, I begin to become cycnic.... ;)
81