From: "b.n." <brullonulla@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] CD ROM does not play audio CD's
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 09:34:54
1 Mark Kirkwood ha scritto:
2 > b.n. wrote:
3 >> (The other is your admittedly elusive attitude to release fully
4 >> details on what happened, both on your webpages and this thread -for
5 >> example, we still have *no* link about the supposed attacks you
6 >> received *before* the relicensing, despite repeated requests for that).
7 >>
8 >> m.
9 > I think it is in here:
10 >
11 > http://cdrecord.berlios.de/private/linux-dist.html
12 >
13 > specifically (quote):
16 > In fact, this happened around y2004. I received a patch that was
17 > intended to add UTF-8 support to mkisofs.
18 >
19 > Unfortunately, the code quality of this patch was lousy. It
20 > tried to incorrectly initialize a structure and it handled only
21 > a few obvious cases. Many important issues with UTF-8 support
22 > have been completely ignored. As a result, I rejected this patch
23 > because I do care about code quality (I still need to be able to
24 > maintain the code in a few years). The people in the Linux
25 > distribution could have fixed the problems and created a useful
26 > solution but they did not do this.
27 >
28 > Now these people have been in trouble and needed an excuse for
29 > their behavior. They created the fairy tale that there is a
30 > license problem in cdrtools. They created a network of
31 > "cooperation" and supported some people which created a fork of
32 > cdrtools based on the fairy tale.....
33
34 I've read that, but
35 1)there is no *reference.* No link to a mailing list thread or such (I
36 don't remember if even the infamous Debian bug where the licensing
37 problem started is linked on Joerg pages, but at least it is easy to
38 find it) -so I don't know if it's true or not. Maybe that' me being a
39 scientist, so I am accustomed to expect at least a literature reference
40 if there is a potentially questionable statement in a scientific paper
41 -but I think it would help to actually see what he is talking about.
42
43 2)Statements like "now these people have been in trouble and needed an
44 excuse for their behaviour" looks like pure conspiracy theory. Why a
45 patch rejected puts people "in trouble"? Why did they need an "excuse"?
46 There is no logic in that. Such claims require proof.
47
48 Again, it is entirely possible that Joerg, despite his somehow weird
49 behaviour, could be right. But I fail to see the strong evidence that
50 should backup his strong statements.
51
52 m.
53 --