From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: dns/bind-tools 9.14 -> 9.16 pulling in 17 new dependencies?!
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2020 01:30:23
1 On Tue, Jul 21, 2020 at 04:00:21PM -0000, Grant Edwards wrote
2 >
3 > Before I can try that, I apparently have to enable the elogind USE
4 > flag because of somthing else that changed since I sync'ed yesterday.
5 >
6 > That only requires 6 new packages (two of them are
7 > acct-{user,group}/polkitd, so it's only 4 new "real" packages. Of
8 > course every self-respecting package needs to install at least one new
9 > programming language -- this time it's dev-lang/spidermonkey. :/
10 >
11 > Sheesh.
12
13 According to news item https://www.gentoo.org/support/news-items/2020-06-24-xorg-server-dropping-default-suid.html
14
15 * xorg-server will no longer be "suid" *BY DEFAULT*
16 * that means *THE DEFAULT* is to require a logind server like systemd
17 or elogind
18
19 The news item also says...
20
21 > Users who do not wish to use logind interface or have rare hardware
22 > that does not use KMS and because of that, require root privileges
23 > to operate, can manually re-enable 'suid' and disable 'elogind' USE
24 > flags in order to preserve the previous behavior. However, please
25 > note that this is heavily discouraged to run X server as root due
26 > to security reasons. The 'suid' USE flag will remain as optional
27 > opt-in for the need of legacy hardware.
28
29 I've set "x11-base/xorg-server glamor suid udev xorg" in package.use
30 and "-elogind" in make.conf, and no additional packages are required. I
31 used to start with USE="-*" but I don't do that anymore. Instead I use
32
33 USE="10bit X apng ffmpeg jpeg opengl png szip truetype x264 x265 xorg threads webp -acl -arping -berkdb -bindist -caps -cracklib -crypt -elogind -filecaps -gallium -gdbm -graphite -iconv -introspection -ipc -iptables -ipv6 -libav -libglvnd -llvm -manpager -nls -openmp -pam -pch -sendmail -tcpd -udev -udisks -unicode -xinerama"
36 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
37 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications