From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Web application for contact management...
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 22:08:34
1 On Monday 15 June 2009, Steve wrote:
2
3 > Running a DB is no hassle - I already run both MySQL and Postgres...
4 > Various unrelated requirements leave me with Windows on my desktop at
5 > the moment - so kmail isn't an ideal tool for me... I've fiddled with
6 > Thunderbird's address book but I found it rather lacking with respect to
7 > annotating contacts... it has a lack-lustre search... and it isn't
8 > client server - making it klunky if I intend to access the same data
9 > from my windows desktop; ubuntu netbook and Symbian internet-enabled
10 > mobile phone. I like the idea that a contacts management package should
11 > allow me to initiate contact - so integration with email programs -
12 > using LDAP, perhaps - would be desirable... though not necessarily
13 > essential.
14
15 Ah, may have missed it in the original post that you want multi-client access.
16
17 > Joshua Murphy wrote:
18 > > Well, most tools that handle that functionality I know of are full
19 > > fledged CRMs, which are overkill for what you're after. You might take
20 > > a look at Simple Customer though, PHP & MySQL, and seems to take a
21 > > less 'enterprise' centric approach.
22 > >
23 > > http://www.simplecustomer.com/
24 > >
25 > > No idea if it's any good, though.
26 >
27 > This is definitely looking as if it is heading in the right direction.
28 > Features I hoped I would find, but seem to be missing are:
29 >
30 > * Tagging of contacts - something a bit like a taxonomy in Drupal....
31 > So, for example, I could tag Fred Bloggs as having UK residency;
32 > Occupation: Plumber - etc. and so that I could, at a later date search
33 > my contacts for a UK resident Plumber. (OK, it's a contrived example,
34 > but, hopefully, it illustrates the idea.)
35 > * Flexible search for contacts... perhaps by name, perhaps by email
36 > address; perhaps just search notes.
37 > * Good support for multiple communications technologies... including
38 > non-US addresses; skype - etc. :)
39 > * Good support for ageing data on a field-by-field basis... by this I
40 > mean that it is relevant, for example, when addresses were established,
41 > because people move home...
42 >
43 > Many thanks for the suggestions so far - they've, at the very least,
44 > helped me refine my ideas about what I want...
45
46 Have you looked at egroupware/phpgroupware and even open-exchange products?
47 As long as you are happy to run a server at home and store your
48 social/professional networking contacts into either mysql or LDAP, one of
49 these front ends should do what you want.
50 --
51 Regards,
52 Mick