From: Steve <gentoo_sjh@×××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Web application for contact management...
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 12:22:37
1 Mick wrote:
2 > Have a look at sugar-crm, or any other CRM application. Of course a
3 > corporate database to manage customer info may be an overkill, but
4 > that's what you're describing, if only at a personal rather than
5 > corporate level.
6 >
7 I agree with both of these observations. I didn't get very far looking
8 at Sugar-CRM last time I thought about this problem... I found it rather
9 too cumbersome and seemed to make too many assumptions about the sort of
10 relationships I had with my contacts. For example integrated invoicing
11 or marketing would be inappropriate for my purposes. I'm trying to
12 manage diverse quasi-personal relationships - essentially I'm looking
13 for a tool to help me with 'social networking' in the real world...
14 where my biggest enemy is forgetting details about people I might only
15 speak to annually - or less often.
16 > If running mysql, or postgresql is too much, check out the address
17 > book features of most mail clients - they usually have space for
18 > notes. You can write in there all trivia and non-trivia for each
19 > contact. I am using kmail and its address book also has custom fields
20 > that you can create as you need them. An address book search will
21 > pick up words from within any notes and custom fields too. That
22 > should hopefully do what you need.
23 >
24 Running a DB is no hassle - I already run both MySQL and Postgres...
25 Various unrelated requirements leave me with Windows on my desktop at
26 the moment - so kmail isn't an ideal tool for me... I've fiddled with
27 Thunderbird's address book but I found it rather lacking with respect to
28 annotating contacts... it has a lack-lustre search... and it isn't
29 client server - making it klunky if I intend to access the same data
30 from my windows desktop; ubuntu netbook and Symbian internet-enabled
31 mobile phone. I like the idea that a contacts management package should
32 allow me to initiate contact - so integration with email programs -
33 using LDAP, perhaps - would be desirable... though not necessarily
34 essential.
35
36 Joshua Murphy wrote:
37 > Well, most tools that handle that functionality I know of are full
38 > fledged CRMs, which are overkill for what you're after. You might take
39 > a look at Simple Customer though, PHP & MySQL, and seems to take a
40 > less 'enterprise' centric approach.
41 >
42 > http://www.simplecustomer.com/
43 >
44 > No idea if it's any good, though.
45 This is definitely looking as if it is heading in the right direction.
46 Features I hoped I would find, but seem to be missing are:
47
48 * Tagging of contacts - something a bit like a taxonomy in Drupal....
49 So, for example, I could tag Fred Bloggs as having UK residency;
50 Occupation: Plumber - etc. and so that I could, at a later date search
51 my contacts for a UK resident Plumber. (OK, it's a contrived example,
52 but, hopefully, it illustrates the idea.)
53 * Flexible search for contacts... perhaps by name, perhaps by email
54 address; perhaps just search notes.
55 * Good support for multiple communications technologies... including
56 non-US addresses; skype - etc. :)
57 * Good support for ageing data on a field-by-field basis... by this I
58 mean that it is relevant, for example, when addresses were established,
59 because people move home...
60
61 Many thanks for the suggestions so far - they've, at the very least,
62 helped me refine my ideas about what I want...
63
64 Steve