From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] baselayout2/openrc question
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2010 18:31:54
1 On Wed, 03 Feb 2010 12:07:33 -0600, Dale wrote:
2
3 > > Portage gives you a big red warning if you try to do this, but it
4 > > doesn't, and shouldn't, try to stop you. What if you really want to
5 > > remove Python? Postage is not the only package manager, so python is
6 > > not compulsory.
9 > It doesn't here. Someone else did the same thing a few weeks ago with
10 > no warning or didn't mention seeing one at least. I've read where
11 > others have done this too.
12 have changed.
13 You're right. It used to do this if you tried to remove anything from
14 @system, but this appears to
15
16 > It just seems to me that portage should keep it so it can work. It
17 > needs python to do that. Since portage is the package manager for
18 > Gentoo, portage is the one that should be protected.
19
20 Portage is A package manager, but if you are using portage to remove
21 packages, it should be intelligent about removing its own dependencies.
22
23 Taken more globally, maybe portage should warn whenever you are trying to
24 remove a package that is a dependency of anything in @world.
28 Neil Bothwick
29
30 Computers are like Old Testament gods; lots of rules and no mercy.