From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] baselayout2/openrc question
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2010 19:31:59
1 On Wednesday 03 February 2010 20:31:31 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > > It just seems to me that portage should keep it so it can work. It
3 > > needs python to do that. Since portage is the package manager for
4 > > Gentoo, portage is the one that should be protected.
5 >
6 > Portage is A package manager, but if you are using portage to remove
7 > packages, it should be intelligent about removing its own dependencies.
8 >
9 > Taken more globally, maybe portage should warn whenever you are trying to
10 > remove a package that is a dependency of anything in @world.
11
12 Could be useful if implemented with an off switch
13
14 Or leave it off by default, users can enable it in make.conf if they wish. I
15 often unmerge deps of things in world, but I know (usually) what I'm doing and
16 will follow up with a --deep later. Annoying "Are you sure?" "Are you REALLY
17 sure?" might make me switch to Ubuntu :-)
22 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com