From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: trouble with new gnome (~amd64)
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2010 13:07:02
1 On 12/08/2010 06:16 PM, Allan Gottlieb wrote:
2 > walt<w41ter@×××××.com> writes:
3 >
4 >> On 12/08/2010 04:50 AM, Allan Gottlieb wrote:
5 >>> Yesterday many gnome-apps were updated to 2.32.
6 >>>
7 >>> There is a problem with evolution's addr book, but for me that is minor.
8 >>>
9 >>> However, the gnome panel doesn't work. It starts, remains running,
10 >>> cannot be killed (even with -9) but does not display the panel.
11 >>
12 >> I agree with Keith, but I would also suggest starting with a completely
13 >> clean home directory, just as a test.
14 >>
15 >> The easiest way to do such a test is to create a new "test" user, so you
16 >> don't need to risk losing all the existing gnome settings in your regular
17 >> home directory.
18 >>
19 >> Create a new "test" user and then log in as "test", and see if you get
20 >> the same problem with the gnome panel. My guess is that everything will
21 >> work normally, so you'll need to figure out what item in your regular
22 >> ~/gnome-related directories is causing the gnome panel to hang.
23 >
24 > Your guess was right! I looked in .xsession-errors and checked for
25 > "failed".
26 >
27 > I found the following msg many times
28 >
29 > Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "gnomebreakpad": libgnomebreakpad.so:
30 > cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
31
32 I'm still trying to find out who is looking for that library. The new
33 version of bug-buddy no longer supplies that library, and when you run
34 bug-buddy from a command line it prints that error -- even though I can't
35 find any file on my machine that was linked to it. Very annoying.
36
37 Anyway, if you're seeing that error it means that somebody is trying to
38 start bug-buddy, which is never a good sign.
39
40 You can move your gnome-related directories on at a time, if you want,
41 but I find it easier to keep a test user around for the same purpose.
42 Your choice.