From: Alec Ten Harmsel <alec@××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Tips for fresh install with GRUB2+RAID1+LVM2
Date: Wed, 20 May 2015 10:20:03
1 On 05/20/2015 05:23 AM, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Wed, 20 May 2015 10:16:09 +0100, Peter Humphrey wrote:
3 >
4 >> Which reminds me: can anyone here confirm whether grub-legacy can
5 >> handle GPT? I'm getting close to building my new system and I don't
6 >> want to change too many things at once. By which I mean that I'm going
7 >> to try btrfs (my fingers will learn how to type that one day), and I
8 >> might go for GPT if it's not going to cause a lot of trouble, but I
9 >> really don't want to have to wrestle with grub-2 at the same time.
10 >> Maybe later.
11 >>
12 >> So, GPT with legacy grub, anyone?
13 > It should do, as long as you create the BIOS Boot partition at the start
14 > of the drive. It shouldn't care what the BIOS is trying to load. But if
15 > it's a new system, doesn't it use UEFI? In which case, grubosaurus won't
16 > work but you can avoid GRUB2 by using Gummiboot, which is even simpler
17 > that GRUB<1.
22 I do not find grub2 complicated, although I've never had a setup with
23 LVM or RAID. It's always just been:
24
25 grub-install --recheck /dev/sda
26 # cosmetic changes to /etc/default/grub like changing the boot delay
27 grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
28
29 I was raised on grub2, so I guess that probably makes a difference;
30 maybe it was difficult when I first started, but I can't remember.
31
32 Alec