From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gnome without PulseAudio?
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2012 04:43:19
1 On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 11:13 PM, Alecks Gates <alecks.g@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Alecks Gates, sent from Android on an HTC G2
5 > On Apr 11, 2012 12:04 AM, "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
6 >>
7 >> On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 10:12 PM, Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
8 >> wrote:
9 >> > Canek Peláez Valdés writes:
10 >> >
11 >> >> On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 9:28 PM, Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
12 >> >> wrote:
13 >> >
14 >> >>> Recently, PulseAudio got installed. Seems like gnome-settings-daemon
15 >> >>> version 3 no longer has the pulseaudio use flag, so it wants
16 >> >>> pulseaudio,
17 >> >>> which needs alsa-plugins built with the pulseaudio use flag. I
18 >> >>> wouldn't
19 >> >>> mind using PulseAudio, but ist starts automatically when I play
20 >> >>> movies,
21 >> >>> and I get no sound output in mplayer or VLC. And there are weird side
22 >> >>> effects, sometimes playback stops, I have to make it run again by
23 >> >>> skipping back and forward. Sometimes videos play much faster than
24 >> >>> normal.
25 >> >>
26 >> >> Is MPlayer using PulseAudio? Maybe if it did, the problem would go
27 >> >> away; I have this in my ~/.mplayer/config:
28 >> >>
29 >> >> ao=pulse
30 >> >> For sure, VLC has an option to use PA by default also.
31 >> >
32 >> > Oh, I think it does, but there was no sound output. Sorry for not
33 >> > mentioning this. I had to switch manually to another sound device, HDA
34 >> > ATI something, I cannot look now because I am not near my desktop PC.
35 >> >
36 >> > If it would just work, then I could make my players use it if they don't
37 >> > already. But what about old applications like Quake3, will they still
38 >> > work?
39 >>
40 >> Of course. I have been using PulseAudio since it became stable in
41 >> Gentoo (circa October 2010); in my experience, making everything sound
42 >> related going through PulseAudio makes everything work. Most modern
43 >> applications support directly PulseAudio; for the old ones that don't,
44 >> you can make all ALSA sound go through PulseAudio like this:
45 >>
46 >> # cat /etc/asound.conf
47 >> pcm.!default {
48 >>    type pulse
49 >> }
50 >>
51 >> ctl.!default {
52 >>    type pulse
53 >> }
54 >>
55 >> (If you want it for all users; for your user only, use $HOME/.asoundrc).
56 >
57 > I believe this fix is no longer necessary in the latest version of
58 > alsa-plugins, 1.0.25-r1 (with the pulseaudio USE flag of course).
59 > Definitely don't have this config change on my systems.  I recall a blog
60 > post from a couple months ago explaining this fix.
61
62 I would like a link to that blog post. I haven't read anything about it.
63
64 Regards.
65 --
66 Canek Peláez Valdés