From: Alecks Gates <alecks.g@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gnome without PulseAudio?
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2012 04:14:51
1 Alecks Gates, sent from Android on an HTC G2
2 On Apr 11, 2012 12:04 AM, "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 > On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 10:12 PM, Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
5 wrote:
6 > > Canek Peláez Valdés writes:
7 > >
8 > >> On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 9:28 PM, Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
9 wrote:
10 > >
11 > >>> Recently, PulseAudio got installed. Seems like gnome-settings-daemon
12 > >>> version 3 no longer has the pulseaudio use flag, so it wants
13 pulseaudio,
14 > >>> which needs alsa-plugins built with the pulseaudio use flag. I
15 wouldn't
16 > >>> mind using PulseAudio, but ist starts automatically when I play
17 movies,
18 > >>> and I get no sound output in mplayer or VLC. And there are weird side
19 > >>> effects, sometimes playback stops, I have to make it run again by
20 > >>> skipping back and forward. Sometimes videos play much faster than
21 normal.
22 > >>
23 > >> Is MPlayer using PulseAudio? Maybe if it did, the problem would go
24 > >> away; I have this in my ~/.mplayer/config:
25 > >>
26 > >> ao=pulse
27 > >> For sure, VLC has an option to use PA by default also.
28 > >
29 > > Oh, I think it does, but there was no sound output. Sorry for not
30 > > mentioning this. I had to switch manually to another sound device, HDA
31 > > ATI something, I cannot look now because I am not near my desktop PC.
32 > >
33 > > If it would just work, then I could make my players use it if they don't
34 > > already. But what about old applications like Quake3, will they still
35 work?
36 >
37 > Of course. I have been using PulseAudio since it became stable in
38 > Gentoo (circa October 2010); in my experience, making everything sound
39 > related going through PulseAudio makes everything work. Most modern
40 > applications support directly PulseAudio; for the old ones that don't,
41 > you can make all ALSA sound go through PulseAudio like this:
42 >
43 > # cat /etc/asound.conf
44 > pcm.!default {
45 > type pulse
46 > }
47 >
48 > ctl.!default {
49 > type pulse
50 > }
51 >
52 > (If you want it for all users; for your user only, use $HOME/.asoundrc).
53
54 I believe this fix is no longer necessary in the latest version of
55 alsa-plugins, 1.0.25-r1 (with the pulseaudio USE flag of course).
56 Definitely don't have this config change on my systems. I recall a blog
57 post from a couple months ago explaining this fix.