From: Alecks Gates <alecks.g@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gnome without PulseAudio?
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2012 04:50:42
1 On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 12:41 AM, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 11:13 PM, Alecks Gates <alecks.g@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> Alecks Gates, sent from Android on an HTC G2
6 >> On Apr 11, 2012 12:04 AM, "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
7 >>>
8 >>> On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 10:12 PM, Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
9 >>> wrote:
10 >>> > Canek Peláez Valdés writes:
11 >>> >
12 >>> >> On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 9:28 PM, Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
13 >>> >> wrote:
14 >>> >
15 >>> >>> Recently, PulseAudio got installed. Seems like gnome-settings-daemon
16 >>> >>> version 3 no longer has the pulseaudio use flag, so it wants
17 >>> >>> pulseaudio,
18 >>> >>> which needs alsa-plugins built with the pulseaudio use flag. I
19 >>> >>> wouldn't
20 >>> >>> mind using PulseAudio, but ist starts automatically when I play
21 >>> >>> movies,
22 >>> >>> and I get no sound output in mplayer or VLC. And there are weird side
23 >>> >>> effects, sometimes playback stops, I have to make it run again by
24 >>> >>> skipping back and forward. Sometimes videos play much faster than
25 >>> >>> normal.
26 >>> >>
27 >>> >> Is MPlayer using PulseAudio? Maybe if it did, the problem would go
28 >>> >> away; I have this in my ~/.mplayer/config:
29 >>> >>
30 >>> >> ao=pulse
31 >>> >> For sure, VLC has an option to use PA by default also.
32 >>> >
33 >>> > Oh, I think it does, but there was no sound output. Sorry for not
34 >>> > mentioning this. I had to switch manually to another sound device, HDA
35 >>> > ATI something, I cannot look now because I am not near my desktop PC.
36 >>> >
37 >>> > If it would just work, then I could make my players use it if they don't
38 >>> > already. But what about old applications like Quake3, will they still
39 >>> > work?
40 >>>
41 >>> Of course. I have been using PulseAudio since it became stable in
42 >>> Gentoo (circa October 2010); in my experience, making everything sound
43 >>> related going through PulseAudio makes everything work. Most modern
44 >>> applications support directly PulseAudio; for the old ones that don't,
45 >>> you can make all ALSA sound go through PulseAudio like this:
46 >>>
47 >>> # cat /etc/asound.conf
48 >>> pcm.!default {
49 >>>    type pulse
50 >>> }
51 >>>
52 >>> ctl.!default {
53 >>>    type pulse
54 >>> }
55 >>>
56 >>> (If you want it for all users; for your user only, use $HOME/.asoundrc).
57 >>
58 >> I believe this fix is no longer necessary in the latest version of
59 >> alsa-plugins, 1.0.25-r1 (with the pulseaudio USE flag of course).
60 >> Definitely don't have this config change on my systems.  I recall a blog
61 >> post from a couple months ago explaining this fix.
62 >
63 > I would like a link to that blog post. I haven't read anything about it.
64 >
65 > Regards.
66 > --
67 > Canek Peláez Valdés
68 > Posgrado en Ciencia e Ingeniería de la Computación
69 > Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México
72 Sure, here you go:
73
74 http://arunraghavan.net/2012/02/gentoo-pulseaudio-alsa-update/