From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gnome without PulseAudio?
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2012 05:31:36
1 On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 11:49 PM, Alecks Gates <alecks.g@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 12:41 AM, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 11:13 PM, Alecks Gates <alecks.g@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>> Alecks Gates, sent from Android on an HTC G2
5 >>>
6 >>>
7 >>> On Apr 11, 2012 12:04 AM, "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
8 >>>>
9 >>>> On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 10:12 PM, Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
10 >>>> wrote:
11 >>>> > Canek Peláez Valdés writes:
12 >>>> >
13 >>>> >> On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 9:28 PM, Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
14 >>>> >> wrote:
15 >>>> >
16 >>>> >>> Recently, PulseAudio got installed. Seems like gnome-settings-daemon
17 >>>> >>> version 3 no longer has the pulseaudio use flag, so it wants
18 >>>> >>> pulseaudio,
19 >>>> >>> which needs alsa-plugins built with the pulseaudio use flag. I
20 >>>> >>> wouldn't
21 >>>> >>> mind using PulseAudio, but ist starts automatically when I play
22 >>>> >>> movies,
23 >>>> >>> and I get no sound output in mplayer or VLC. And there are weird side
24 >>>> >>> effects, sometimes playback stops, I have to make it run again by
25 >>>> >>> skipping back and forward. Sometimes videos play much faster than
26 >>>> >>> normal.
27 >>>> >>
28 >>>> >> Is MPlayer using PulseAudio? Maybe if it did, the problem would go
29 >>>> >> away; I have this in my ~/.mplayer/config:
30 >>>> >>
31 >>>> >> ao=pulse
32 >>>> >> For sure, VLC has an option to use PA by default also.
33 >>>> >
34 >>>> > Oh, I think it does, but there was no sound output. Sorry for not
35 >>>> > mentioning this. I had to switch manually to another sound device, HDA
36 >>>> > ATI something, I cannot look now because I am not near my desktop PC.
37 >>>> >
38 >>>> > If it would just work, then I could make my players use it if they don't
39 >>>> > already. But what about old applications like Quake3, will they still
40 >>>> > work?
41 >>>>
42 >>>> Of course. I have been using PulseAudio since it became stable in
43 >>>> Gentoo (circa October 2010); in my experience, making everything sound
44 >>>> related going through PulseAudio makes everything work. Most modern
45 >>>> applications support directly PulseAudio; for the old ones that don't,
46 >>>> you can make all ALSA sound go through PulseAudio like this:
47 >>>>
48 >>>> # cat /etc/asound.conf
49 >>>> pcm.!default {
50 >>>>    type pulse
51 >>>> }
52 >>>>
53 >>>> ctl.!default {
54 >>>>    type pulse
55 >>>> }
56 >>>>
57 >>>> (If you want it for all users; for your user only, use $HOME/.asoundrc).
58 >>>
59 >>> I believe this fix is no longer necessary in the latest version of
60 >>> alsa-plugins, 1.0.25-r1 (with the pulseaudio USE flag of course).
61 >>> Definitely don't have this config change on my systems.  I recall a blog
62 >>> post from a couple months ago explaining this fix.
63 >>
64 >> I would like a link to that blog post. I haven't read anything about it.
65 >>
66 >> Regards.
67 >> --
68 >> Canek Peláez Valdés
69 >> Posgrado en Ciencia e Ingeniería de la Computación
70 >> Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México
73 > Sure, here you go:
74 >
75 > http://arunraghavan.net/2012/02/gentoo-pulseaudio-alsa-update/
76
77 Damn, I read Gentoo Universe and I totally missed that. Cool, thanks,
78 I will remove the config file.
79
80 Regards.
81 --