From: Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: change and improvement
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2011 14:00:57
1 On 10/07/2011 03:36 AM, Jonas de Buhr wrote:
2 > Am 07.10.2011 02:55, schrieb Michael Orlitzky:
3 >> On 10/06/11 19:42, Jonas de Buhr wrote:
4 >>>> If we have some grub-legacy and some grub2 installs,
5 >>> why would you do that?
6 >> Eventually, grub2 will be all that's available from portage. At that
7 >> point, I can either,
8 >>
9 >> 1) Install grub2 on some machines.
10 >>
11 >> 2) Maintain grub-legacy (and install media) myself.
12 >
13 > i really don't think thats the way its going to be. i think there will
14 > be grub and grub2 in portage potentially forever. like with python 2 and 3.
15 >
16 > even if not, 2) takes you one cp command and a little bit of disk space
17 > for the grub tarball.
18
19 Python2 will stick around because most packages (portage!) don't work
20 with python3. Grub doesn't have the same problem.
21
22 (2) requires me to at least,
23
24 * Figure out how to build a Gentoo install CD
25 * Fork grub-legacy on our servers somewhere
26 * Test it against all future kernel releases
27 * Document why we're doing this, and how to do the first three steps.
30 >> * Upgrade a bunch of my servers at 4am?
31 > why not choose a convenient time to upgrade?
32
33 4am *is* the convenient time to upgrade.
36 >> If you still think it's "not much" then I'd be happy to have you do it
37 >> while I drink margaritas.
38 > no, i still don't think its as much of a big deal as you make of it.
39 > about as much work as a kernel upgrade. let's wait for grub2 to go
40 > stable before you send me that ticket ;)
41
42 This fails as a debate strategy since you wouldn't have to pay my
43 mortgage and feed me if you screwed up =)
44
45 Kernel upgrades usually take me a full day. I get to skip most of the
46 documentation step, but have to deal with heterogeneous configs. I'm not
47 saying that this is some huge problem on a cosmic scale, but it is going
48 to waste a day and risk downtime for no user-visible benefit.