From: Jonas de Buhr <jonas.de.buhr@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: change and improvement
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2011 07:38:47
1 Am 07.10.2011 02:55, schrieb Michael Orlitzky:
2 > On 10/06/11 19:42, Jonas de Buhr wrote:
3 >>> If we have some grub-legacy and some grub2 installs,
4 >> why would you do that?
5 > Eventually, grub2 will be all that's available from portage. At that
6 > point, I can either,
7 >
8 > 1) Install grub2 on some machines.
9 >
10 > 2) Maintain grub-legacy (and install media) myself.
11
12 i really don't think thats the way its going to be. i think there will
13 be grub and grub2 in portage potentially forever. like with python 2 and 3.
14
15 even if not, 2) takes you one cp command and a little bit of disk space
16 for the grub tarball.
20 >> have a look at the link i posted. if you really want to keep it simple,
21 >> grub2 can be configured with a single grub.cfg file.
22 > How much work would it be for you to,
23 >
24 > * Learn grub2
25 if you're ok with the single .cfg: done.
26 > * Travel to my office here in Baltimore
27 first class flight please.
28 > * Test it on all combinations of hardware that we currently run
29 > * Document the standard config and any special cases
30 ok.
31 > * Upgrade a bunch of my servers at 4am?
32 why not choose a convenient time to upgrade?
33 >
34 > If you still think it's "not much" then I'd be happy to have you do it
35 > while I drink margaritas.
36 no, i still don't think its as much of a big deal as you make of it.
37 about as much work as a kernel upgrade. let's wait for grub2 to go
38 stable before you send me that ticket ;)