From: Joseph <syscon780@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] pop up windows with text message
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2013 02:48:19
1 On 07/10/13 11:21, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 >On 09/07/2013 18:54, Joseph wrote:
3 >> How to design a sticky note pop-up when file is present?
4 >>
5 >> I would like to check if file is present via and open a terminal window
6 >> with a simple message.
7 >> I think a simple bash script and a cron job would do the trick or is
8 >> there a better solution?
9 >>
10 >> I've tried cron + bash script
11 >>
12 >> cron:
13 >> 32 10 * * * sh /home/joseph/xp_share/wall.sh
14 >>
15 >> wall.sh
16 >> terminal
17 >> wall file ready
18 >>
19 >> When I open terminal and type: "terminal" new windows pops up
20 >> But if close all the terminals and run wall.sh script the terminal will
21 >> not open.
22 >> I get an error message: (terminal:24945): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open
23 >> display:
27 >You want inotify for this.
28 >
29 >You are polling something to discover if it's there, what yu really want
30 >to do is let the kernel notify you when the event you are interested in
31 >occurs.
32 >
33 >There are many tools out there that interface with the kernel's inotify
34 >system.
37 >--
38 >Alan McKinnon
39 >alan.mckinnon@×××××.com
40
41 Thanks Alan, yes I'm looking into it and your are the second person who suggested to me "inotify" is the tool for the job.
42 I've installed inotify-tools but I think I will need to find more samples to make it to work :-)
43
44 I just want to monitor one file in a directory.
45 I usually copy the file over the network to another computer (same file name) I'll overwrite the file.
46
47 Once I copy the file, the system should notify a use that new file exist (a message pop-up). If the use closes the message and will not open the file, after few
48 ours I want to remind the user that the file has not been open yet.
49
50 Will it be very complicated to write a bash script like this?
53 Joseph