From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] pop up windows with text message
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2013 08:29:16
1 On Wed, 10 Jul 2013 20:48:22 -0600, Joseph wrote:
2
3 > Thanks Alan, yes I'm looking into it and your are the second person who
4 > suggested to me "inotify" is the tool for the job. I've installed
5 > inotify-tools but I think I will need to find more samples to make it
6 > to work :-)
7
8 Try incron, it uses the kernel's inotify functions but does the work
9 for you, and it comes with plenty of examples.
10
11 > Once I copy the file, the system should notify a use that new file
12 > exist (a message pop-up). If the use closes the message and will not
13 > open the file, after few ours I want to remind the user that the file
14 > has not been open yet.
15
16 incron could launch one script you when the file is created. This
17 would send the notification and create an at job to send another
18 notification after a specified time. Then you could have another
19 icrond task triggered by the file being opened for read, that kills
20 the at job
24 Neil Bothwick
25
26 God is real, unless specifically declared integer.