From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] grub: how to install new version of stage 1
Date: Sun, 31 May 2009 17:22:14
1 On Sunday 31 May 2009 18:12:34 John P. Burkett wrote:
2 > Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 > > On Saturday 30 May 2009 20:59:00 John P. Burkett wrote:
4 > >> The manual suggests doing "grub-install --no-floppy /dev/sda"
5 > >> but later says "If your system does not have any floppy drives, add the
6 > >> --no-floppy option to the above command to prevent grub from probing the
7 > >> (non-existing) floppy drives." My machine has a floppy drive. Should I
8 > >> omit the --no-floppy option and just do "grub-install /dev/sda" ?
9 > >
10 > > The manual is actually quite clear if you know even just a little bit
11 > > about boot loaders.
12 > >
13 > > Use --no-floppy if
14 > >
15 > > a) you do not have a floppy drive
16 > > b) you do not intend grub to use the floppy drive you do have
17 > >
18 > > The question you should be asking is "have I ever booted off a floppy
19 > > drive in the last X years, and do I ever intend do so again?"
20 > >
21 > > The first example in the manual is assuming the answers are no and no -
22 > > pretty normal for the vast majority of users.
23 >
24 > Thanks, Dale and Alan, for your suggestions. Doing
25 > grub-install --no-floppy /dev/sda
26 > as root elicits the following response:
27 > /dev/md1 does not have any corresponding BIOS drive.
28 >
29 > In my /dev directory, I see a sda and a md1 file.
30 >
31 > Suggestions for diagnosing or resolving the problem would be much
32 > appreciated.
33 >
34 > John
35
36 md1 is a software raid drive. grub may or may not be able to read it depending
37 on what kind of raid it is.
38
39 But I doubt you are booting from that if you have an sda, so even though grub
40 finds it, just don't use it and ignore the message. You told grub where to
41 install the boot loader, and it will have done that.
44 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com