From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Re: [gentoo-user] Running out of space on /var partition
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 01:11:03
1 Dale writes:
2
3 > Alex Schuster wrote:
4
5 > > I don't use tmpfs any more, as 8G of RAM is barely enough to run KDe
6 > > here.
7 >
8 > I run KDE here and it uses less than 1Gbs all the time. Most of the
9 > time it hovers around 1Gb with a lot of junk open. If your used 8Gbs,
10 > you got a lot running or something. o_O
11
12 I'm using 4.5G right now according to free -m (using the -/+ buffers/cache
13 entry). 550M for a Windows VM, 355M for Kontact, 350M for my TV-Browser
14 application, 200M for Firefox, incredible 165M for a Chromium instance, 155M
15 plasma-desktop. Oh, there's an emerge -a command waiting for me to confirm
16 it should run, 155M. virtuoso-t neds 150M, the same goes for Amarok, and
17 kwin is at 140 now. The rest is mainly more Chromium and Konqueror
18 processes, X, akonadi_nepomuk, apache2, kmymoney, the rest is less then 65M
19 each.
20
21 The system even starts swapping from time to time. 6G was not enough, things
22 are much better now that I have 8G. With 4, it became unusable after 1-2
23 days of being logged into KDE.
24
25 > > Well, if you were using LVM, this would take less than a minute:
26 > >
27 > > lvresize -L +2G /dev/myVolumeGroup/myVarVolume
28 > > resize2fs /dev/myVolumeGroup/myVarVolume
29 >
30 > Yea but I don't use LVM.
31
32 I know :)