From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kernel panics and more info
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2011 15:54:34
1 Joost Roeleveld wrote:
2 > On Thursday 21 July 2011 05:54:32 Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> I been working on gathering information for this for a while. I just
5 >> tried something else. I use the download helper plugin in Firefox to
6 >> download videos. Also, it crashes when I am downloading videos but that
7 >> is about all I use Firefox for. I had a light bulb moment and decided
8 >> to see if the same plugin was available for Seamonkey. It was available
9 >> so I installed it. It works the same as in Firefox. So, I closed as
10 >> much stuff as I could and started downloading a couple good size
11 >> videos. After a few minutes, you guessed it, kernel panic followed by a
12 >> reboot. To make sure it was not a fluke or something, I repeated the
13 >> process and got the same result.
14 >>
15 > Dale,
16 >
17 > I would suspect the download-helper-plugin as that is common in both the
18 > Firefox and Seamonkey crashes.
19 > Can you provide a link to the plugin you use to allow others to test this to
20 > see if it works for them?
24 I'm not sure you are right but it is possible. Here is a linky:
25
26 https://addons.mozilla.org/en-Us/seamonkey/addon/video-downloadhelper/
27
28 It's pretty straight forward. I can get a failure by going to youtube
29 and starting the download of two or three fairly long movies. I usually
30 middle click and open the video in a new tab. Then start the download
31 and close the tab. I usually walk off or watch TV while it downloads.
32 I have the slow DSL here so it takes a bit to download but it usually
33 crashes in a minute or two. Firefox crashes faster but Seamonkey only
34 takes a couple minutes or something.
35
36 If anyone tests this, let me know if it messes up. I'm on amd64
37 multilib too. That may have some effect.
38
39 Thanks.
40
41 Dale