From: tuxic@××××××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT]: "New to aliexpress" pop up - how to block it?
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2017 17:08:29
1 On 07/16 01:58, Urs Schütz wrote:
2 > On 07/16/17 05:56, R0b0t1 wrote:
3 > > On Sun, Jul 16, 2017 at 3:44 AM, <tuxic@××××××.de> wrote:
4 > > > On 07/16 03:12, R0b0t1 wrote:
5 > > > > On Sun, Jul 16, 2017 at 2:11 AM, <tuxic@××××××.de> wrote:
6 > > > > > On 07/16 01:59, R0b0t1 wrote:
7 > > > > > > On Sun, Jul 16, 2017 at 1:47 AM, <tuxic@××××××.de> wrote:
8 > > > > > > > Hi,
9 > > > > > > >
10 > > > > > > > that drives my insane:
11 > > > > > > > While searching items for my DIY Nixie clock on aliexpress I get
12 > > > > > > > one certain popup with each new access to aliexpress asking
13 > > > > > > > me, whether I am new to aliexpress and offers me a coupon.
14 > > > > > > >
15 > > > > > > > I have no othe chance than clicking on this [beep] pop up
16 > > > > > > > to be able to see the page contents.
17 > > > > > > >
18 > > > > > > > I searched the web for according informations how to block
19 > > > > > > > this [beep] popup, but I only get informations how to
20 > > > > > > > remove a certain kind of adware virus from Mac and Windows.
21 > > > > > > >
22 > > > > > > > Since this virus pops up an advertisement of constantly changing
23 > > > > > > > goods and is page filling I am sure I am not suffering from this.
24 > > > > > > >
25 > > > > > > > If anyone out there has solved this problem without disabling
26 > > > > > > > the possibility to /buy/ something on aliexpress PLEASE HELP
27 > > > > > > > ME. I AM NEAR INSANITY! ;) :)
28 > > > > > > >
29 > > > > > > > Thanks a lot in advance for any life saver!
30 > > > > > > > Cheers
31 > > > > > > > Meino
32 > > > > > > >
33 > > > > > >
34 > > > > > > You might be able to block the element on the page using uBlock
35 > > > > > > Origin, but unfortunately that type of ad is very hard to remove. If
36 > > > > > > you have to interact with it is harder to select using uBlock's
37 > > > > > > interface.
38 > > > > > >
39 > > > > > > You can also use Greasemonkey to block more invasive ads, but I never
40 > > > > > > had much luck with that. It's designed to do more than filter
41 > > > > > > background content.
42 > > > > > >
43 > > > > > > I feel like I need to ask whether or not you've done something like
44 > > > > > > disable cookies. I'd not suggest doing that, at most delete all of
45 > > > > > > them when you close your browser session. It's impossible to use most
46 > > > > > > pages without having cookies enabled (this makes automating things
47 > > > > > > with web libraries infuriating).
48 > > > > > >
49 > > > > > > R0b0t1.
50 > > > > > >
51 > > > > >
52 > > > > > Hi R0b0t1,
53 > > > > >
54 > > > > > For "normal browsing" I created a profile for firefox which is privacy
55 > > > > > enhanced -- blocking all sorts of things. This profile works half
56 > > > > > with the sites I normally visit.
57 > > > > > Aliexpress get screwed up when visited using this profile.
58 > > > > >
59 > > > > > So I created a second profile, which I use for Aliexpress only. This
60 > > > > > one has only some privacy related things enabled. Aliexpress works --
61 > > > > > including poping up this [beep] "Are you new to Aliexpress?" popup.
62 > > > > > Cookies are enabled with this profile.
63 > > > > >
64 > > > >
65 > > > > Does it do this on every page load or just the first time you interact with it?
66 > > > >
67 > > >
68 > > > I did the following:
69 > > > *** Surf to www.aliexpress.com (no popup and no way to search despite
70 > > > the fact that a search bar is shown.)
71 > > > *** Click on any product -- product will be displayed and popup pops
72 > > > up (hence the name), click the popup to remove it. Search bar now works.
73 > > > *** Click "reload tab"...the whole [beep] starts from the beginning.
74 > > >
75 > >
76 > > I've managed to block something similar using uBlock Origin, but it
77 > > was really hard to select it with the GUI picker that creates blocking
78 > > rules for you.
79 > >
80 > > The technical term for what the website is using is called a popover
81 > > and I remember people talking about blocking them with uBlock Origin
82 > > because they are hard to block, but I can't find anything relevant to
83 > > this discussion in Google.
84 > >
85 > > > > > As soon as I login into Aliexpress the popup disappears -- now
86 > > > > > Aliexpress is satisfied, because tracking my searches is now
87 > > > > > personalized.
88 > > > > >
89 > > > >
90 > > > > If you can't find a way to target the overlay with uBlock Origin you
91 > > > > might try looking at https://greasyfork.org/en and using Greasemonkey.
92 > > > > Unfortunately all the premade scripts I could find were simple things
93 > > > > like pricing changes.
94 > > >
95 > > > Why Greasemonkey is especially use ful in this case?
96 > > > (this is curiosity -- and NO expression of doubt, R0b0t1! :)
97 > > >
98 > >
99 > > Greasemonkey injects JavaScript onto your webpages based on filter
100 > > criteria, so you can effectively do anything your browser can do when
101 > > displaying the webpage. Some of the more impressive feats are
102 > > reengineered webpages that are better than the original service, most
103 > > of them are mundane and only alter a few values on a webpage.
104 > >
105 > > You can also use it for laser-guided adblocking if you need to.
106 > > Unfortunately Greasemonkey requires quite a bit of knowledge about
107 > > itself, web development, and the page you are trying to modify, so I
108 > > can't be of much help apropos.
109 > >
110 > > > >
111 > > > > > Its the same reason for why buying via Aliexpress App on a
112 > > > > > smartphone/tablet is cheaper than using a PC.
113 > > > > > I am using XPrivacy on my Android tablet which shows, blocks
114 > > > > > or allows ANY access to permissions like "Get your location"
115 > > > > > et cetera -- I instantly deleted that App after I saw, what this
116 > > > > > App wants to know.
117 > > > > >
118 > > > >
119 > > > > It's sad to see another website doing this. There's a few that make it
120 > > > > all but impossible to use the service without logging in or supplying
121 > > > > information one way or another. If the creator of the website doesn't
122 > > > > want you to use it, I'm not sure there's a lot that can ultimately be
123 > > > > done about it.
124 > > > >
125 > > > > In a similar vein, my phone now displays advertising. The state of
126 > > > > computing has me despondent.
127 > > >
128 > > > For your phone: Root it, install XPosed/XPosedInstaller, install XPrivacy, install
129 > > > Bootmanager, install PreventRunning, install AFWall -- and your
130 > > > phone is yours again. Buying XPrivacy is worth every cent (it is
131 > > > cheap!) and it can be bought directly by its developer Marcel
132 > > > Bokhorst via Mony transfer -- no need to feed Google again!
133 > > >
134 > > > For more drop me a PM.
135 > > >
136 > >
137 > > I might take you up on your offer but the main issue is my phone isn't
138 > > a flagship device so I can't expect a ROM to exist for it. I suppose
139 > > I'll check.
140 > >
141 > > R0b0t1.
144 > AdblockPlus, "Select an element to hide". Selecting the red window with the
145 > mouse will add something like this to the blocking list:
146 > aliexpress.com##.ui-window.ui-window-normal.ui-window-transition.ui-newuser-layer-dialog
147 > and
148 > aliexpress.com##.newuser-container
149 >
150 > Urs
154 Hi Urs,
155
156 thanks a lot for the hint!
157
158 But.,..
159
160 ...take a look into the so called "privacy" policy of AdPlus.org (or
161 whatever those think "privacy" means):
162
163 From: https://adblockplus.org/privacy
164
165 cite:
166 Collection and processing on AdblockPlus.org
167 When using AdblockPlus.org, we automatically collect the following data in order to provide you with our services, and for security reasons:
168
169 A list and explanations follows ...
170
171 As previously mentioned "anonymiyed data" is a joke in the post Orwell
172 era of today.
175 Cheers,
176 Meino