From: "Urs Schütz" <u.schutz@×××××××.ch>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT]: "New to aliexpress" pop up - how to block it?
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2017 16:58:55
1 On 07/16/17 05:56, R0b0t1 wrote:
2 > On Sun, Jul 16, 2017 at 3:44 AM, <tuxic@××××××.de> wrote:
3 >> On 07/16 03:12, R0b0t1 wrote:
4 >>> On Sun, Jul 16, 2017 at 2:11 AM, <tuxic@××××××.de> wrote:
5 >>>> On 07/16 01:59, R0b0t1 wrote:
6 >>>>> On Sun, Jul 16, 2017 at 1:47 AM, <tuxic@××××××.de> wrote:
7 >>>>>> Hi,
8 >>>>>>
9 >>>>>> that drives my insane:
10 >>>>>> While searching items for my DIY Nixie clock on aliexpress I get
11 >>>>>> one certain popup with each new access to aliexpress asking
12 >>>>>> me, whether I am new to aliexpress and offers me a coupon.
13 >>>>>>
14 >>>>>> I have no othe chance than clicking on this [beep] pop up
15 >>>>>> to be able to see the page contents.
16 >>>>>>
17 >>>>>> I searched the web for according informations how to block
18 >>>>>> this [beep] popup, but I only get informations how to
19 >>>>>> remove a certain kind of adware virus from Mac and Windows.
20 >>>>>>
21 >>>>>> Since this virus pops up an advertisement of constantly changing
22 >>>>>> goods and is page filling I am sure I am not suffering from this.
23 >>>>>>
24 >>>>>> If anyone out there has solved this problem without disabling
25 >>>>>> the possibility to /buy/ something on aliexpress PLEASE HELP
26 >>>>>> ME. I AM NEAR INSANITY! ;) :)
27 >>>>>>
28 >>>>>> Thanks a lot in advance for any life saver!
29 >>>>>> Cheers
30 >>>>>> Meino
31 >>>>>>
32 >>>>>
33 >>>>> You might be able to block the element on the page using uBlock
34 >>>>> Origin, but unfortunately that type of ad is very hard to remove. If
35 >>>>> you have to interact with it is harder to select using uBlock's
36 >>>>> interface.
37 >>>>>
38 >>>>> You can also use Greasemonkey to block more invasive ads, but I never
39 >>>>> had much luck with that. It's designed to do more than filter
40 >>>>> background content.
41 >>>>>
42 >>>>> I feel like I need to ask whether or not you've done something like
43 >>>>> disable cookies. I'd not suggest doing that, at most delete all of
44 >>>>> them when you close your browser session. It's impossible to use most
45 >>>>> pages without having cookies enabled (this makes automating things
46 >>>>> with web libraries infuriating).
47 >>>>>
48 >>>>> R0b0t1.
49 >>>>>
50 >>>>
51 >>>> Hi R0b0t1,
52 >>>>
53 >>>> For "normal browsing" I created a profile for firefox which is privacy
54 >>>> enhanced -- blocking all sorts of things. This profile works half
55 >>>> with the sites I normally visit.
56 >>>> Aliexpress get screwed up when visited using this profile.
57 >>>>
58 >>>> So I created a second profile, which I use for Aliexpress only. This
59 >>>> one has only some privacy related things enabled. Aliexpress works --
60 >>>> including poping up this [beep] "Are you new to Aliexpress?" popup.
61 >>>> Cookies are enabled with this profile.
62 >>>>
63 >>>
64 >>> Does it do this on every page load or just the first time you interact with it?
65 >>>
66 >>
67 >> I did the following:
68 >> *** Surf to www.aliexpress.com (no popup and no way to search despite
69 >> the fact that a search bar is shown.)
70 >> *** Click on any product -- product will be displayed and popup pops
71 >> up (hence the name), click the popup to remove it. Search bar now works.
72 >> *** Click "reload tab"...the whole [beep] starts from the beginning.
75 > I've managed to block something similar using uBlock Origin, but it
76 > was really hard to select it with the GUI picker that creates blocking
77 > rules for you.
78 >
79 > The technical term for what the website is using is called a popover
80 > and I remember people talking about blocking them with uBlock Origin
81 > because they are hard to block, but I can't find anything relevant to
82 > this discussion in Google.
83 >
84 >>>> As soon as I login into Aliexpress the popup disappears -- now
85 >>>> Aliexpress is satisfied, because tracking my searches is now
86 >>>> personalized.
87 >>>>
88 >>>
89 >>> If you can't find a way to target the overlay with uBlock Origin you
90 >>> might try looking at https://greasyfork.org/en and using Greasemonkey.
91 >>> Unfortunately all the premade scripts I could find were simple things
92 >>> like pricing changes.
93 >>
94 >> Why Greasemonkey is especially use ful in this case?
95 >> (this is curiosity -- and NO expression of doubt, R0b0t1! :)
98 > Greasemonkey injects JavaScript onto your webpages based on filter
99 > criteria, so you can effectively do anything your browser can do when
100 > displaying the webpage. Some of the more impressive feats are
101 > reengineered webpages that are better than the original service, most
102 > of them are mundane and only alter a few values on a webpage.
103 >
104 > You can also use it for laser-guided adblocking if you need to.
105 > Unfortunately Greasemonkey requires quite a bit of knowledge about
106 > itself, web development, and the page you are trying to modify, so I
107 > can't be of much help apropos.
108 >
109 >>>
110 >>>> Its the same reason for why buying via Aliexpress App on a
111 >>>> smartphone/tablet is cheaper than using a PC.
112 >>>> I am using XPrivacy on my Android tablet which shows, blocks
113 >>>> or allows ANY access to permissions like "Get your location"
114 >>>> et cetera -- I instantly deleted that App after I saw, what this
115 >>>> App wants to know.
116 >>>>
117 >>>
118 >>> It's sad to see another website doing this. There's a few that make it
119 >>> all but impossible to use the service without logging in or supplying
120 >>> information one way or another. If the creator of the website doesn't
121 >>> want you to use it, I'm not sure there's a lot that can ultimately be
122 >>> done about it.
123 >>>
124 >>> In a similar vein, my phone now displays advertising. The state of
125 >>> computing has me despondent.
126 >>
127 >> For your phone: Root it, install XPosed/XPosedInstaller, install XPrivacy, install
128 >> Bootmanager, install PreventRunning, install AFWall -- and your
129 >> phone is yours again. Buying XPrivacy is worth every cent (it is
130 >> cheap!) and it can be bought directly by its developer Marcel
131 >> Bokhorst via Mony transfer -- no need to feed Google again!
132 >>
133 >> For more drop me a PM.
136 > I might take you up on your offer but the main issue is my phone isn't
137 > a flagship device so I can't expect a ROM to exist for it. I suppose
138 > I'll check.
139 >
140 > R0b0t1.
143 AdblockPlus, "Select an element to hide". Selecting the red window with
144 the mouse will add something like this to the blocking list:
145 aliexpress.com##.ui-window.ui-window-normal.ui-window-transition.ui-newuser-layer-dialog
146 and
147 aliexpress.com##.newuser-container
148
149 Urs