From: Emmanuel Vasilakis <mrzammler@××.st>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ryzen and c-state poweroffs?
Date: Sat, 04 May 2019 09:39:53
1 On Fri, May 3, 2019, at 7:29 PM, Spackman, Chris wrote:
2 >
3 > All,
4 >
5 > I set up a new AMD computer (moved disk from previous Intel
6 > computer). After some struggles with bios settings, I got it to boot
7 > properly and updated for the new hardware. All seemed fine, but then it
8 > started "crashing" when left alone. From Googling, it seems that it has
9 > something to do with the bios powering down drives that aren't in use,
10 > but then not being able to power them back up.
11 >
12 > When it "crashes" (goes into a coma?), I have to use the power button to
13 > turn it off and then back on. As it starts up, the root partition is
14 > clean, but home has to be recovered - which seems to indicate that it is
15 > indeed an issue with the mobo/bios turning off the root drive.
16 >
17 > I found a Linux site that suggested this line in dmesg as a symptom:
18 >
19 > > [Firmware Bug]: ACPI MWAIT C-state 0x0 not supported by HW (0x0)
20 >
21 > The solution was to turn of C-states in the bios. I forget the exact
22 > wording right now, but I could not find it in my bios. I tried to turn off
23 > everything that seemed related to power saving, but several did not have
24 > an "off" option. So, I am still getting the error.
25 >
26 > For now, I set up a cron job to move a file from /root to /tmp every 15
27 > minutes. This seems to work, but it is obviously not a long term
28 > solution.
29 >
30 > I checked for a bios update, but there was not one available.
31 >
32 > Has anyone else experienced this? Is there maybe a /sys/ or /proc/ file
33 > I can tweak to avoid bios powering things off?
34 >
35 > Thanks.
38 Hi,
39
40 I'm not in any way familiar with these processors (only recently I've been thinking about upgrading to Ryzen, so I've made some research online.
41
42 Have you seen this: https://github.com/qrwteyrutiyoup/ryzen-stabilizator ?
43
44 Is it a first gen processor, or a 2XXX one?
45
46 Thanks,
47 Emmanuel