From: Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] where's the splash?
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 21:25:32
1 Uwe Thiem schreef:
2 > On 17 August 2005 18:22, John Dangler wrote:
3 >
4 >>Uwe~
5 >>Yes, please share! I'd be interested to see how this goes together
8 > Alright, it took me less time than I thought. ;-)
9 > <snip>
10 Thank you very much, Uwe, but I simply cannot get the livecd themes to work.
11
12 Adapting your methodology-- because I don't use genkernel-- in
13 combination with the wiki how-to, I compiled the initramfs into the
14 kernel, and the kernel does boot with the livecd theme-- but the theme
15 itself does not appear. This is an improvement, actually, as previously
16 I would get a kernel panic with the silent theme selected.
17
18 Now I just get the same message that I got previously with the verbose
19 splash:
20
21 no 8bb picture selected in config file (twice)
22
23 could not find silent image.
24
25 Haven't tried verbose yet as I've compiled this kernel 5 times today and
26 I'd really like to give the new ati drivers a spin for a while.
27
28 I have:
29
30 - copied most of the (working, afaik) emergence config file to the
31 livecd config file;
32
33 - converted the images to 8bit and saved them with the proper names;
34
35 - put the full path to the images in the config file;
36
37 - converted the "32-bit" images from .png to .jpg
38
39 None of it works. The images cannot be found.
40
41 I really don't know what else I can do, nor even what to file for a bug,
42 as I have no clue what's wrong. I've looked in the forums (nothing), and
43 the only partially relevant bug on b.g.o was marked invalid, being about
44 a 'non-standard' resolution (1280x800), whereas my issue is with a
45 standard resolution (1280x1024).
46
47 I really don't want to bother Spock with this, since it seems to be a
48 problem limited to me-- but honestly, what could it be?
49
50 Holly
51
52 P.S, oh btw, thanks for the instructions about setting up a GRUB theme
53 (which I have done, although using different instructions from yours, as
54 yours didn't mention that the image must be created with certain
55 constraints), but what I had said was that I needed a matching *GDM*
56 theme :) . Not that it matters, since I have no splash to tie the GRUB
57 theme to any future matching GDM theme anyway....
58
59 H.
62 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list