From: rocwhite168 <rocwhite168@×××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: kernel configuration problem -- genkernel: no irq handler; manual config: root filesystem could not be mounted r/w
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 09:04:08
1 Dale <rdalek1967 <at> gmail.com> writes:
4 > I sort of think this is in there but make sure you did the same for your
5 > drive controllers as well. You may also want to try this link.
6 >
7 > http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-4173972.html#4173972
8 >
9 > I haven't had to put that on mine but maybe something is different. The
10 > most common cause for this is not having the file system or drive
11 > controller drivers built in the kernel. Sort of grasping at straws
12 > here. I posted the link in case you want to read the rest of the
13 > thread as well.
14 >
15 > Make sure the option you have in fstab are correct for ext4. I have not
16 > used ext4 so I don't know if noatime applies or not. If you are unsure,
17 > set it to "defaults" for the time being. You should be able to change
18 > that later.
19 >
20 > Also, this is one of my grub.conf boot lines:
21 >
22 > title Gentoo
23 > kernel (hd0,0)/bzImage-2.6.30-r8-1 root=/dev/hda6
24 >
25 > If nothing else works, copy yours to look like mine but replacing the
26 > relevant parts to match your setup, kernel name and where root is.
27 >
28 > Hope this helps.
29 >
30 > Dale
33 Thanks for your suggestion! I have actually tried adding 'rw' before, but I
34 forgot to mention it earlier... It still didn't work, but with a different error
35 message:
36 "UDF-fs: No partition found (1)
37 List of all partitions:
38 0800 78125000 sda driver: sd
39 0801 1365121 sda1
40 0802 1 sda2
41 0803 .... sda3
42 0804 .... sda4
43 0805 .... sda5
44 0806 .... sda6
45 0807 .... sda7
46 No filesystem could mount root, tried: reiserfs ext3 ext2 ext4 vfat msdos
47 iso9660 hfsplus hfs ufs udf
48 Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(8,5)
49 Pid: 1, comm: swapper Not tainted 2.6.31-gentoo-r10 #4
50 Call Trace:
51 panic+0x4d/0x112
52 mount_block_root+0x19c/0x1c9
53 mount_root+0xb6/0xf1