From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: kernel configuration problem -- genkernel: no irq handler; manual config: root filesystem could not be mounted r/w
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 06:06:13
In Reply to: [gentoo-user] Re: kernel configuration problem -- genkernel: no irq handler; manual config: root filesystem could not be mounted r/w by rocwhite168
1 rocwhite168 wrote:
2 > Dale<rdalek1967<at> gmail.com> writes:
5 >> I notice you are using ext4 for the root partition file system. Do you
6 >> have support for ext4 compiled in the kernel? Not as a module but built
7 >> into the kernel? Using modules is OK but things that it has to have to
8 >> get to the point where it can read the root partition and start loading
9 >> modules has to be built in, unless you want to go to the additional
10 >> effort to use a initrd.
11 >>
12 >> Dale
15 > Yes, it's built-in. I have attached a copy of my kernel config file in the
16 > original post.
17 >
18 > Thanks,
19 > Roc
24 I sort of think this is in there but make sure you did the same for your
25 drive controllers as well. You may also want to try this link.
26
27 http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-4173972.html#4173972
28
29 I haven't had to put that on mine but maybe something is different. The
30 most common cause for this is not having the file system or drive
31 controller drivers built in the kernel. Sort of grasping at straws
32 here. ;-) I posted the link in case you want to read the rest of the
33 thread as well.
34
35 Make sure the option you have in fstab are correct for ext4. I have not
36 used ext4 so I don't know if noatime applies or not. If you are unsure,
37 set it to "defaults" for the time being. You should be able to change
38 that later.
39
40 Also, this is one of my grub.conf boot lines:
41
42 title Gentoo
43 kernel (hd0,0)/bzImage-2.6.30-r8-1 root=/dev/hda6
44
45 If nothing else works, copy yours to look like mine but replacing the
46 relevant parts to match your setup, kernel name and where root is.
47
48 Hope this helps.
49
50 Dale