From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: kernel configuration problem -- genkernel: no irq handler; manual config: root filesystem could not be mounted r/w
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 09:05:33
In Reply to: [gentoo-user] Re: kernel configuration problem -- genkernel: no irq handler; manual config: root filesystem could not be mounted r/w by rocwhite168
1 rocwhite168 wrote:
2 > Dale<rdalek1967<at> gmail.com> writes:
5 >> I sort of think this is in there but make sure you did the same for your
6 >> drive controllers as well. You may also want to try this link.
7 >>
8 >> http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-4173972.html#4173972
9 >>
10 >> I haven't had to put that on mine but maybe something is different. The
11 >> most common cause for this is not having the file system or drive
12 >> controller drivers built in the kernel. Sort of grasping at straws
13 >> here. I posted the link in case you want to read the rest of the
14 >> thread as well.
15 >>
16 >> Make sure the option you have in fstab are correct for ext4. I have not
17 >> used ext4 so I don't know if noatime applies or not. If you are unsure,
18 >> set it to "defaults" for the time being. You should be able to change
19 >> that later.
20 >>
21 >> Also, this is one of my grub.conf boot lines:
22 >>
23 >> title Gentoo
24 >> kernel (hd0,0)/bzImage-2.6.30-r8-1 root=/dev/hda6
25 >>
26 >> If nothing else works, copy yours to look like mine but replacing the
27 >> relevant parts to match your setup, kernel name and where root is.
28 >>
29 >> Hope this helps.
30 >>
31 >> Dale
34 > Thanks for your suggestion! I have actually tried adding 'rw' before, but I
35 > forgot to mention it earlier... It still didn't work, but with a different error
36 > message:
37 > "UDF-fs: No partition found (1)
38 > List of all partitions:
39 > 0800 78125000 sda driver: sd
40 > 0801 1365121 sda1
41 > 0802 1 sda2
42 > 0803 .... sda3
43 > 0804 .... sda4
44 > 0805 .... sda5
45 > 0806 .... sda6
46 > 0807 .... sda7
47 > No filesystem could mount root, tried: reiserfs ext3 ext2 ext4 vfat msdos
48 > iso9660 hfsplus hfs ufs udf
49 > Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(8,5)
50 > Pid: 1, comm: swapper Not tainted 2.6.31-gentoo-r10 #4
51 > Call Trace:
52 > panic+0x4d/0x112
53 > mount_block_root+0x19c/0x1c9
54 > mount_root+0xb6/0xf1
55 > prepare_namespace+0xef/0x169
56 > sys_access+0x1f/0x23
57 > kernel_init+0x16a/0x184
58 > kernel_init+0x0/0x184
59 > kernel_thread_helper+0x7/0x18"
60 >
61 > Thanks!
62 >
63 > Roc
67 I did some googling. Seriously grasping at straws here. Do you have
68 SMP enabled? If so, do you really have a multiprocessor or multicore
69 machine? I ask beause I did find where someone else had SMP enabled and
70 it shouldn't have been. I noticed it shows it is enabled in the config
71 you posted earlier. Also, make sure you have the correct CPU selected
72 too. I think you do tho from what I saw in the config. Also make sure
73 you have the correct partitions in fstab too. I know I'm bad to mix
74 those up sometimes or just leave out a "/" mark.
75
76 Another thought, are you sure that the drive partitions are sda and not
77 hda? I still use the old drivers and mine are hda but some are using
78 the new drivers which are sda. Just wanting to make certain. Grasping
79 at one more straw. ;-)
80
81 I'll do some more thinking and put a little more wear and tear on google.
82
83 Dale
84