From: meino.cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] AHCI/IDE-question
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2011 19:50:04
1 Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> [11-01-21 20:36]:
2 > On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 11:16 AM, Volker Armin Hemmann
3 > <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com> wrote:
4 > <SNIP>
5 > >>
6 > >>    I'm happy to be corrected (by Volker I'm sure) but that's my guess
7 > >> as to what you're seeing.
8 > >
9 > > you are confusing bios calls and bios programming chips as.... also - is there
10 > > any good reason to use IDE mode? Any? At all?
11 >
12 > I don't believe I'm 'confusing bios calls with bios programming'. The
13 > BIOS can do whatever it wants to in programming the chips as long as
14 > grub can still find the kernel. After grub finds the kernel the kernel
15 > is free to override whatever chip programming the BIOS has done and
16 > reprogram the chips as it sees best.
17 >
18 > I think the issue meino possibly has is that he likely didn't include
19 > an Int13 type driver in the kernel or most likely his system would
20 > have booted like it did in the _very_ old days.
21 >
22 > I agree that there isn't any good reason I know of to use IDE mode
23 > unless the other modes the BIOS provides don't work.
24 >
25 > I cannot get into my Asus BIOS at the moment, but as I remember it
26 > Asus gave me something like
27 >
28 > IDE
29 > AHCI
30 > AHCI + compatibility
31 >
32 > IIRC I had to use the last one to get mine to boot but I may be wrong
33 > about that. I only mention this as meino is also using Asus so he
34 > might look for similar options.
35 >
36 > - Mark
39 Hi Mark,
40
41 ...I got some timing problems here, it seems: The answers are comeing
42 faster than the related questions are posted.
43 Are we disturbing the Einstein/Rosen-continuum here and should better stop
44 mailing with lightspeed???
45
46 ;)
47
48 My ASUS board offers:
49 RAID
50 IDE
51 AHCI
52
53 The help to both kernel options mentioned above is saying (beside
54 other things): "If unsure, say N".
55
56 That would lead to a unbootable system (at least with my setup...).
57
58 One point for clarification:
59 Grub has no problem with either settings in the BIOS. Even the kernel
60 boots til the point when it wants to access the root partition.
61
62 I will try to reboot the system with kernel using AHCI _and_ the BIOS
63 set to AHCI...I will post the result of the stupid experiment in a
64 moment...wait...