From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Rooted/compromised Gentoo, seeking advice
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 21:05:50
1 On Wednesday 11 August 2010 20:16:42 Dale wrote:
2 > Stroller wrote:
3 > > On 10 Aug 2010, at 20:22, Hazen Valliant-Saunders wrote:
4 > >> ...
5 > >> Good Luck getting people to change them frequently and haveing your
6 > >> techs and it departments meeting complexity and length policy.
7 > >
8 > > I'm pretty sure that's a trivial setting for expiration policy and a
9 > > PAM plugin or option to enforce complexity.
10 > >
11 > > Stroller.
12 >
13 > Thing about changing passwords to often, the person forgets what the
14 > password is. I have a good strong password for my bank and credit
15 > card. If I had to change it every month, six months or something, I
16 > would set it to something simple so that I could remember what the
17 > password is. Then I would write it down to help me remember it as well.
18 >
19 > Changing the password often can actually lead to other issues.
22 I refuse to implement password expiration policies and have a vast array of
23 literature to back me up when some dimwit damager gets on his expiration high
24 horse.
25
26 My users pick their own passwords - I present a list of 5 from apg and let
27 them pick one. Accounts do expire if they go unused for 90 days, but not
28 passwords.
29
30 What put me onto this policy? I found Gartner recommending password
31 expiration. I find the best security possible is always the opposite of what
32 Gartner says. Discovering how the AD admins in the company go about their jobs
33 was the convincing straw :-)
37 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com