From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] secure programing language?
Date: Tue, 08 May 2018 21:41:27
1 On Tue, May 8, 2018 at 4:33 PM <mad.scientist.at.large@××××××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > So are there currently any languages (currently in use/supported)
4 designed to avoid the problems with C and other languages?
5 >
6 > Something with strong types and provisions for automatic input validation
7 beyond typing, i.e. range limitation?
8 >
9 > Something that compiles, something that doesn't self optimize (math may
10 be good, but just like encryption the implementation can be
11 flawed/exploitable due to various errors). Because you can't validate a
12 moving target.
13 >
14 > something that strongly isolates data from code, something that protects
15 the heap and stack aggressively (other than just os implemented mechanisms
16 like stack canaries).
17 >
18 > Any suggestions? I'm going to be picking up programming again and I'd
19 greatly prefer spending my time using a language that has security built in
20 rather than depend on the application programmer adding protections after
21 the fact.
22 >
23 > I'll still have to learn C as well, so I can understand/modify existing
24 code but I'd like to be as proactive as possible about security and
25 reliability in what I write. And again, something that compiles. Not
26 specificly looking at writing web apps per say, though i'd also be
27 interested in any well secured/proactive languages for some internet/LAN
28 usage.
29
30 I think Go and Rust would fit the bill.
31
32 Regards.
33 --
34 Dr. Canek Peláez Valdés